X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No display on initial boot

Hi All!

I just installed kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 3.5 and the installation went flawless! When I try to run the initial system boot, I just get a pop up on the monitor that says "Recommend Resolution 1024x768". Then that's it, I can't do anything else, the monitor just stays blank. Come to think of it I had to use the "safe grapics mode" when I installed Kubuntu, with the standard graphics install, I received the same problem. How can I change the resolution to 1024x768 before booting to the GUI?
    Laptop= HP Pavilion ze4930 1.3 Ghz Celeron M, 512MB Ram, 40GB HDD, Kubuntu 8.40 Hardy Heron, KDE 4<br /><br /&gtesktop= Compaq 8000T P4 2.8Ghz, 1 GB Ram, 120GB HDD, openSUSE 11.0, KDE 4, ATI Radeon 9200

Re: No display on initial boot

Welcome! I see that you are already familiar with Linux (your sig line shows you are running OpenSUSE). I also see that your video card is an ATI Raedon 9200. That explains why you had to use safe graphics mode to even install Kubuntu. It's also the reason that you are ending up at a blank/black screen. By chance, do you have a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the screen?

How to get started with no GUI by dibl is informative.
    You may (ultimately) want/need to use the:
    HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers
    posted by dibl as well.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No, I don't have a blinking cursor, and WOW, what a nice step by step! It's not to often that you get to see one of those! I'll try that out as quick as I can!

Thanks for the quick response!
      Laptop= HP Pavilion ze4930 1.3 Ghz Celeron M, 512MB Ram, 40GB HDD, Kubuntu 8.40 Hardy Heron, KDE 4<br /><br /&gtesktop= Compaq 8000T P4 2.8Ghz, 1 GB Ram, 120GB HDD, openSUSE 11.0, KDE 4, ATI Radeon 9200

Comment

I know you will, but post back with any results - positive or negative.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Nope, wouldn't work. I ran the code:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and the only thing it would let me edit was the keyboard. I opened the /etc/X11/xorg.conf just to look and:

1. Vi wouldn't let me edit anything, or enter in commands.

2. The descriptions were pretty much blank under the "monitor" "device" and so fourth, whereas in openSUSE there were option [settings] etc...

Comment

You should be able to select settings for the monitor on the bootup when you get to the Kubuntu Grub screen. Are you using Kubuntu's grub? Do you have any other operating systems on your system?

The main Kubuntu screen when it boots up gives you some options and I think it's F3 or F1. It should be listed at the bottom. Then, you can choose a resolution and even choose 'VESA' drivers so you can at least boot up.

Then you can try the above instructions listed for installing the proper video drivers.

Edit: I checked the LiveCD and F4 allows to choose a 'safe graphics mode.' If you can't boot up at all, the LiveCd will allow you to boot up in safe graphics mode. You can then fix your X or try changing the resolution.

If you use the editor, you probably have to be root in order to make changes. You should be able to at least view what's there. I like Nano or Kate.

Comment

Working...
            X