X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing a partition for Kubuntu

Hey guys

I'm new to Kubuntu (and these forums) but I'm not a noob, I just want some basic advice

I've partitioned my 500gb drive as follows;

C:/ = Windows Vista x64 - 50,000 MB
    D:/ = Windows XP - 50,000 MB
    X:/ = Personal files - 368 GB

Currently, I dual-boot Vista and XP. I've decided to keep Vista but remove XP and replace this partition with Kubuntu (so I can dual-boot Vista with Kubuntu).

Can you please advise me on the easiest way to do this?

The way I was planning to do it is delete the XP partition in PartitionMagic (through Vista) and find out how to use the partition tool built into Kubuntu, then format that empty space to ext3 and then install it.

Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks in advance
    Dual-boot: Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04.1 / Vista x64 Ultimate<br />Custom Build: Gigabyte MA-770-DS3 ; AMD Phenom 9550 2.4GHz x 4 ; 500GB SATAII 16MB ; 4GB Corsair PC2-6400 800MHz ; nVidia 9600GT ; Antec Sonata III w/500W Earthwatts PSU ; 5.1 HD Surround ; 22&#39;&#39; LG Monitor

Re: Replacing a partition for Kubuntu

I, as well as others here, would recommend/suggest that you download and burn the LiveCD of GParted version 0.3.4-7 (or upto -9) to do the formatting of the old XP partition.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

When using gParted, would you recommend I erase the XP partition and format to ext3 and THEN boot with Kubuntu and install?
      Dual-boot: Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04.1 / Vista x64 Ultimate<br />Custom Build: Gigabyte MA-770-DS3 ; AMD Phenom 9550 2.4GHz x 4 ; 500GB SATAII 16MB ; 4GB Corsair PC2-6400 800MHz ; nVidia 9600GT ; Antec Sonata III w/500W Earthwatts PSU ; 5.1 HD Surround ; 22&#39;&#39; LG Monitor

Comment

I'd use GParted to delete the XP partition and create three new partitions in the unallocated space that was occupied by XP. Given the size of the XP partition - 50GB - I'd set up the three new partitions as follows:
        10GB for / (root) and marked as bootable
        38GB for /home (where your user settings and files will reside. Creating a separate /home partition is strongly recommended)
        2GB for swap

You want GParted to format the / and /home partitions. When completed, you can exit GParted. Then, with your LiveCD in the caddy, reboot your PC and you can procede with the installation.

Comment

Thanks VERY much SnowHog

Comment

Snowhog beat me to it.
            But I'll paste it here anyway -- and there are some references.
            All consistent with what Snowhog told you.

I haven't used Vista.
            (Does Vista not use TWO partitions – check that to be sure you don't mess with anything Vista needs.)

GParted Live CD should show you everything.
            Use it to delete XP partition.
            Re-create a partition for Kubuntu.
            Format that partition ext3.
            Exit out GParted.
            Fire up Kubuntu Live Desktop CD installer.
            Install Kubuntu in that partition you made.

>>> NOTE:

=> Issues:

----- GRUB
            The Kubuntu bootloader
            Install GRUB to the MBR of the drive (hd0).
            That will overwrite the Vista bootloader – just be aware of this.
            So GRUB will boot both Vista and Kubuntu (dual boot).

----- Kubuntu: Partitioning?
            Many people use 3 partitions for Kubuntu:
            root (/) -- This is required
            swap – This is required
            /home – This is optional but a separate /home is smart
            See this:
            Partitioning—how to, Rog131:
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0

For Vista and how it plays with XP & Linux, see this:
            Vista *** The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
            http://apcmag.com/dualboot
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
              I haven't used Vista.
              (Does Vista not use TWO partitions – check that to be sure you don't mess with anything Vista needs.)
              Yes, there are. But, the smaller 'recovery' partition precedes the main partition. So, deleting the XP partition is safe - it won't muck with Vista.

But do read The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step linked by Qqmike, and do so before you install Kubuntu so that you understand what needs to be done. If in doubt, ask before doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                I haven't used Vista.
                Yes, there are. But, the smaller 'recovery' partition precedes the main partition. So, deleting the XP partition is safe - it won't muck with Vista.
                Thanks again guys

I'm using Vista (installed on a fresh PC build) and I can tell you I have only those partitions I made, no recovery partition or anything. If it was an option during install, I would have deselected it, but I don't recall it, just so you know. (I installed Vista Ultimate btw)

I have three further questions, though they are simpler, if you're bothered

1) I have 4GB of RAM and would rather install the version of Kubuntu which I will have least compatibility issues with (programs and RAM), should I go with x64 or stick with i386 to stay on the safe side?

2) Above, you recommended a 2GB swap partition, if I have 4GB RAM, is this still a suitable figure?

3) SnowHog mentioned formatting / and /home but not swap, do I leave this unformatted?

Comment

(1) I don't know about this "4 GB RAM issue," but it has been posted/discussed here, I think, even yesterday or today. -- you might check around; dibl says he did not have any problems with 4 GB with any Kubuntu (I think that's what i recall...?).

(2) You are thinking of the Windows rule of thumb: 1.5x or 2x RAM?
                  I think the consensus here is that 2 GB would be plenty; some folks use just 500 MB or so. Swap won't get used as much as it might be in Windows.

(3) swap will get its own formatting during the installation (by the installer), AND the installer will probably want to re-format root, which is OK.
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

PS
                    re swap
                    see the how-to on partitioning by Rog131 re swap size/issues.

Comment

Here it is
                      re 4 GB:

Too much power
                      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...7886#msg137886

Comment

(1) I don't know about this "4 GB RAM issue," but it has been posted/discussed here, I think, even yesterday or today. -- you might check around; dibl says he did not have any problems with 4 GB with any Kubuntu (I think that's what i recall...?).

(2) You are thinking of the Windows rule of thumb: 1.5x or 2x RAM?
                        I think the consensus here is that 2 GB would be plenty; some folks use just 500 MB or so. Swap won't get used as much as it might be in Windows.

(3) swap will get its own formatting during the installation (by the installer), AND the installer will probably want to re-format root, which is OK.
                        Hey, thanks. Okay, I'll just use the 32-bit version to avoid running into x64 issues... The 4GB RAM issue shouldn't be a problem...

Comment

Well, I know nothing about windows, but this lot here say they know what they are talking about: http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dua...stepbystep.htm
                          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
                          X