X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to install, Kubuntu can't see SATA disk

History:
    Trying to install 64 bit Kubuntu 8.0.4. The setup disk got to the screen where you make a partition, partion table, etc. I could do nothing at this screen.

So I down loaded Gparted, in the hopes of creating a partition Kubuntu could mount. I got the below message.

Error
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    !!Invalid loop location/gparted.dat
    !!Please export loop with a valid location or reboot and pass a proper loop=...
    !!kernel command line!

After that I get /bin/ash:can't access tty; Job control turned off
    /Newroot#
    larry!Help!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I searched and found this post http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=593, followed all instructions best I could (total Linux newbie) with no real progress.

At the newroot# I was able to get this command to give me some info.

dmesg | grep scsi

more or less said:
    scsi generic sc10
    scsi6 ata_piix
    scsi7 ata_piix

I think it is something to do with Linux not liking my sata drives. I tried to disable native support in the bios, however, could not find that option.

So I then figured out that I did not have the latest version of Gparted-0.3.7 live cd. So I tried this one and it did boot in the GUI, but it could not locate any discs.

I want to try and dual boot Kubuntu, but I am at my wits end. Please advise on an easy solution.

Hardware

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 65W

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM

ECS P965T-A (V1.0) LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel

2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Cheers!

Re: Trying to install, Kubuntu can't see SATA disk

Couple of thoughts -- maybe one will help you break through this.

1. BIOS -- look carefully at your BIOS menus and options for the SATA hard drives. Is there a "legacy" mode, or "AHCP" or some other mode than the one you have set for the SATA bus? If so, try changing the mode.

2. GParted Live CD -- I've had great luck with the version 0.3.4-10, and I've seen reports of problems with the later versions. One would think the later versions would be better ... but .....

Here's the download site:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=115843

3. Is there a PATA drive connected to that motherboard? If so, as a final desperate measure, you might try disconnecting the data cable from the PATA drive, and then see if the SATA drives show up.

Comment

Re: Trying to install, Kubuntu can't see SATA disk

I am having the exact opposite problem; trying to dual boot on my media center, Windows XP Home works fine, and when I try to install Hardy, it gets to the partition page but there is no info. I checked the system info, under the Advanced tab in the GUI, it shows 4 removable USB controller's (which I am assuming to be the SATA ports on my mobo), the CD drive, Sytsem, but my WD 40GB hard drive is no where to be found. I have already disabled the SATA drives in the BIOS. I have not tried gparted yet. Would that work in my situation?

Harware:

Ahanix media center PC case w/ 7" touch screen
      Mach Speed Mobo
      AMD Athalon 64 3800+
      Western Digital 40GB PATA drive w/ 3 FAT32 partitions (Windows, Blank, Data)
      Buffalo wireless card
      WinFast TV Tuner card
      nVidia 8500GT graphics card

Comment

Working...
      X