This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu

I tried installing Ubuntu and it failed when getting the DHCP ip address, also there was no GUI installed so I couldn't install KDE because I had no net connection.

I am going to install Kubuntu. Can Kubuntu be used as a web/mail server or would I be better off trying to resolve the DHCP issue and install Ubuntu?

thank,
    peter

Re: Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu

If the DHCP server is your router or ISP, and there's a problem with it, switching to Kubuntu is not going to resolve that. :P

As far as the GUI, or "Desktop Environment", Ubuntu offers Gnome and Kubuntu offers KDE. It's strictly a matter of taste - they both have their advocates and detractors.

Either Ubuntu or Kubuntu could be set up as a server -- mail server, print server, LAMP, or whatever. There's no difference in those functionalities. There's also Xubuntu, if you're looking for a lightweight GUI just enough to get the server set up.

Comment

Originally posted by pr144
      ...also there was no GUI installed...
      This implies problems with either the LiveCD and/or your equipment. What do you have? What are the specifications?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If you have installed the Ubuntu "Server Edition", then it will not install the GUI by default. Only the desktop editions load the GUI by default. I believe there is a procedure to activate the GUI though. Try the Ubuntu forums and do a search.
        AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Comment

Working...
        X