This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.04 and fstab ???

I recently installed Kubuntu 8.04 and then the appropriate NTFS handling / viewing / writing bits.
    I still could not open my NTFS partitions ... permission denied.
    I messed about in System Settings... mount points, etc. and cocked things up
    I had backed up my "fstab" and, using the Kubuntu CD, I reverted to the backup fstab.
    No joy !. My system would not boot .. it stuck at the local systems point.

"In disgust" , using the Kubuntu CD again, I deleted the entire section in fstab relating to my "non-Kubuntu" partitions and then rebooted.
    Voila !. A perfect reboot PLUS I can now access and Read / Write my NTFS partiions.
    I looked at the "new" fstab and it still remains the same, i.e. no lines for "loading" the NTFS partitions.

I am not a Linux expert but remain very puzzled as to why the above "positive" thing happened.

I did use Kubuntu Forums as a guide to changing fstab settings using ntfs-3g .. but this did not work.
    I am therefore in the happy position of ignoring procedures to get the right result !!

Can anybody explain this

Regards,
    ScottyJavea

Re: Kubuntu 8.04 and fstab

I 'believe' that Kubuntu 8.04 supports NTFS natively, unlike previous versions.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked out this fact and found that 8.04 does have native support for NTFS partitions.
      But, on my install I still had a problem.

Anyway, it is resolved now and I will continue to use 8.04 as it also found my other, 7-years-old, laptop´s USB WiFi card and installed a driver, unlike previous versions.

Full marks for Hardy Heron.

Regards,
      ScottyJavea

Comment

Happy to hear you are having a good experience. I think you will find the Kubuntu Forums a great resource. Welcome to the family.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X