Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE4 install keeps wanting to re-download everything?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 install keeps wanting to re-download everything?

Hi guys,
    I'm a newbie.
    Had a play with Unbuntu and Xbuntu and have decided I like the look of Kubuntu best.
    Downloaded the "kubuntu-kde4-8.04-desktop-i386.iso" to install on a Toshiba laptop, using the install inside Vista method for the time being.
    Didn't have any trouble with the two previous versions doing it this way but when I try to install Kubuntu it gets part way through the process then starts to download the necessary files, in this case another 689.3 megs!
    After having downloaded the 705mb iso already - this can't be right can it?
    Shouldn't it find most of what it needs on the CD?
    Cleared all remains of the previous installs but it keeps doing it?
    Thanks in advance,
    Rev

Re: KDE4 install keeps wanting to re-download everything?

Welcome to the party

I don't know the wubi installation process at all but depending on your location and language the installation will (if you choose to) download a whole bunch of language / regional packages on top of what is on your cd (which it just copies over and not really "download").
    Cleared all remains of the previous installs but it keeps doing it?
    Of course it does. It has to get ansd unpack those files from some where.

A 700md cd translates into approx. 3-5GB on HD after install depending on your region.

So please qualify the problem
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
      please qualify the problem
      My location is Australia.
      I don't know what else to tell you.
      I downloaded the KDE4 8.04 desktop i386 iso (705.856Mb).
      The installation refuses to proceed unless it is connected to the net. When it starts downloading what it requires it starts to do from the net (not the CD), for what it tells me will be another 689.3Mb.
      It is as if it doesn't like the KDE4 version that I am trying to install and wants to download the straight desktop iso edition instead? (which is 689Mb) .
      What's even worse it is downloading the updates at 3kbs a second and I've got 69 hours to go!

Comment

Well, I managed to solve my own problem.
        The solution for anyone finding themselves in the same position seems to be that I downloaded the wrong Iso, probably in the wrong language - in this case German (that was the download location I chose).
        Anyway, that's the way it appears. I downloaded the Iso again from another location and it worked flawlessly this time.

Comment

Well done, mate!

Why on earth you chose Germany - half way round the world, after all - is anybody's guess You got bandwidth to burn down under or what

Welcome to the club.
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Revhead@

Help other users who see this topic by returning to your first post in this thread and clicking the modify button and adding SOLVED to the subject line.

Welcome to the family!
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X