Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 8.04 will not boot - stuck at [initramfs] (or something like that)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.04 will not boot - stuck at [initramfs] (or something like that)

I installed Kubuntu 8.04 inside Win XP and the dual booting had been working (until tonight). Now when I try booting up Kubuntu, it gets stuck at the "[initramfs]" line (I think that's the name) and just sits there. If I type "help" (as I'm told I can), I'm given a list of internal commands so there's a shell loaded. I can type "reboot" which works but that's it.

Re: Kubuntu 8.04 will not boot - stuck at [initramfs] (or something like that)

I am no expert at that but I do have a few questions:
    What do you mean by:
    I installed Kubuntu 8.04 inside Win XP
    Also, could you supply some more information like:
    Motherboard, RAM, CPU, video / audio card, are you using HH 3.5.9, kde4.0.5, kde4.1 beta or a mix?

Did you do anything before this issue "poped" up?
    If yes what?

The more information you can give the easier it will be for someone here to help in a productive way
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

@ Fintan

I think he means a wubi install - I've tried it once on a friend's computer but won't be doing it again in a hurry...

@ dbeko

Did you run an update before this happened? Did it finish cleanly? As Fintan said, the more info, the better...

But above all - this wubi business is not really that great, I had all sorts of problems upgrading one and only hours of ploughing through the www got me back on track. Hence my advice: do a proper reinstall
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Also, could you supply some more information like:
        Motherboard, RAM, CPU, video / audio card, are you using HH 3.5.9, kde4.0.5, kde4.1 beta or a mix? Did you do anything before this issue "popped" up?
        If yes what? The more information you can give the easier it will be for someone here to help in a productive way
        Sorry.. I use the Kubuntu 8.04 CD to install it from the CD while running WinXP. Kubuntu installed into a folder on my HD and created the boot menu and such.

I haven't made any changes to my WinXP or Kubuntu installation (same HD, same boot menu, etc.). There were a few WinXP updates here and there (as always) but that's it. Each time that I've used Kubuntu, it's always been a clean shutdown and reboot as well.

I'm running a MSI motherboard, 1 gig of RAM, XP3000+ CPU, two 250gb HDs (C: and D: with D: being the boot drive and where Kubuntu has stored its install).

Comment

So you did a wubi installation as toad suggested. That could be the problem.

I am guessing here because I never did a wubi installation but if you did no updates / grades and had this:
          There were a few WinXP updates here and there
          Then I am assuming the problem lies there.

Maybe the ubuntu forums can help further or rename this thread to something like:
          Wubi installation and having a initramfs issue.

Sorry I can't be of more use

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Fintan's idea is a good one - try "them over there" but please let us know how you fared
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
              Fintan's idea is a good one - try "them over there" but please let us know how you fared
              Thanks, all, for the suggestions but I'm going to be installing Kubuntu on its own computer in the next few weeks anyway and this is something that I don't have time to track down. Hopefully, Kubuntu being on its box will mean that this error doesn't happen (again).

Comment

Working...
              X