This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.04 Crashes with live cd

Whenever I try to run the live CD I select English, then Install or try Kubuntu. The loading bar then loads from left to right and back in a cycle. After when it's suppose to go only from left to right the computer gives me this error message

"BustyBox v1.1.3 (debian 1:1.1.3-ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter "help" for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) [104.559484] ata2.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)"

My specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.00Ghz - x86
    nVidia Geforce 9600 GT - 512mb
    4gb ddr2 ram
    Dell Inspiron 530 Motherboard

I am unable to boot properly, can somebody help me?

Re: Kubuntu 8.04 Crashes with live cd

Try booting the Live CD again; this time, when the boot menu's status bar appears, press Alt+F1 to exit quiet mode. This will allow you to see what's happening behind the scenes as the CD boots.

What is the last message that appears before you're switched to the BusyBox console? Also try to make note of any errors you see.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Re: Kubuntu 8.04 Crashes with live cd

More than likely, you're going to discover that both, your nVidia graphics card and the 4GB of installed RAM are going to be the cause of your problem. The nVidia issue can (most likely) be resolved by booting using the Safe Graphics mode initially. The 4GB of ram is going to be more problematic. The non-server kernel of Kubuntu isn't compiled 'by default' to recognize/use RAM greater than 3GB.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X