This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Hardy Heron KDE 4.0.3 on Laptop

Hi there, I'm newbe in the Linux Word and finally stop in the various ?Ubuntu flavors (Ubuntu 8.04 and Kubuntu 8.04)

I've stayed with Kubuntu 8.04 for the looks and funtions.

But here is the problem.
    When I install Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron KDE 3.5.9 on my laptop Sony Vaio PCG-TR1A it discover every piece of hardware I have and put it to work, including sound.

But when I try to install Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 4 Hardy Heron on the same laptop, it has a problem with the driver for the sound card.

Please let me know if someone has the same problem.

I wanted to install the KDE 4 for the looks and feel of it.

Thanks

Ulises Boom
    Dominican Republic

Re: Kubuntu Hardy Heron KDE 4.0.3 on Laptop

If I were you, I'd go back to KDE 3.5.9. I am not a newbie. I've been using Linux (and Unix before that) for eight or nine years, and I still won't use KDE 4.0 ! I do not believe that it is ready for regular every day use. I hope that KDE 4.1 will be usable by the time that Intrepid Ibex (Kubuntu 8-10) becomes available.

Meanwhile, I would advise you to concentrate on learning how to use Linux on a stable system. Once you become an experienced enough user to tell the difference between a "PBKAC" (Problem Between Keyboard And Chair) and a bug in the software, I would stick with software that is likely to reward you for learning how to use it.

Comment

Working...
    X