This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardy Heron as LTS?

Now I know that Hardy Heron isn't an LTS version, but for me when I upgraded from Gutsy Gibbon, the install screen said that it is. I'm just wondering if it was just to me, or if anyone else saw it, because if it isn't just me, then when they decided to make it not an LTS they forgot to make another install screen.
    The early bird might get the worm, but it's the second mouse who always gets the cheese.

Re: Hardy Heron as LTS?

LTS --> Long Term Support

Tim

Comment

http://blog.nixternal.com/2007.12.20...aturing-kde-4/
      short & sweet
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Given that all the other branches of Ubuntu Hardy are LTS, it's probably hard to filter out all references to it in Kubuntu.
        Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

I'm not sure why people make such a big deal over this. If I were concerned with LTS, it would be for kernel patches and updates for any major security holes in apps.

Since Kubuntu shares the same foundation as Ubuntu, those pieces *are* going to have LTS.

Even the kde-desktop packages are a standard part of Ubuntu. So, unless you're using KDE4.0 (which means you're using it on a system that's obviously not critical), you do have LTS for most everything beyond installer issues (and why would you be installing this version years from now?).

-J
          Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Indeed, I agree with you 3vi1. So all the fuss about Gnome 'having finally killed off KDE' in the Ubuntu interface wars is nonsense (see http://www.daniweb.com/blogs/entry1920.html). I hope Kubuntu's market share does not drop because of this LTS thing.

Comment

Who needs LTS?

I find that after my recent migration from winXP that I like to play with different linux distros. Tried Fedora, Mandriva, OpenSuse, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu. I have a data partition for all my stuff and 4 other partitions for various different linux distros.

The one I prefer and seem to use most of the time is Kubuntu. KDE just feels better to me and Kubuntu seems to make my old Dell happier too.

From my point of view LTS is irrelevant. I can't imagine using the same release for 3 years any more. Or even one year. It's so easy to down load and install a new one. Why not keep up? I am free now! Not trapped and locked in to the tyranny of some proprietary OS.

I suppose if needed to install an OS for some one else I would want LTS. Or better yet to teach them how to do it them selves?

Ken.
              Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

LTS is relevant to me. I still have servers running Dapper. Not everybody wants to reinstall every six months, and I've had one too many bad experiences with release upgrades to trust a mission-critical system with it.

I've found that a lot of people don't care for upgrades as much as they do consistency and stability.
                Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

I have two computers that I work on, a laptop and a desktop. The laptop won't run anything but Dapper, but the desktop'll run anything but windows (it's currently running Hardy) and I like having an OS that I can trust to run the way I need it to consistently without me having to mess with it all the time, even for upgrades. That 's why I love Kubuntu so much, because when it comes to updating it takes two clicks and I can see what's going on and then go back to my stuff.
                  The early bird might get the worm, but it&#39;s the second mouse who always gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                  X