X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move from Ubuntu to Kubuntu

Hi,

I am looking at moving my PC from running Ubuntu to Kubuntu and have found an article where I install the Kubuntu-Desktop package and uninstall the Ubuntu-Desktop and Ubuntu splash packages, but from the article it is not clear if the Kubuntu-Desktop package will install the KDE3 or KDE4 desktop, can anyone tell me which it will install and also how I can choose whcih DE to install.

The reason I am doing it this way rather than doing a clean install is that my PC came with Ubuntu pre-installed and I would rather not have to re-install and find all the additional packages that were pre-installed for hardware compatiblity added to which I have LinDVD on this machine which I will lose.

Thanks,

Gavin,
    Primary OS: Kubuntu Feisty Fawn, Secondary: WinXP Pro (Games Only)<br />Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz, 2GB RAM<br />ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256MB<br />15&quot; Widescreen Display (1280x800)<br />Pro/Wireless Network Card connecting to US Robotics 1908A Router<br />

Re: Move from Ubuntu to Kubuntu

Hi Gavin,

The kubuntu-desktop package installs the KDE 3 desktop, for KDE 4 type kubuntu-kde4-desktop. To remove Ubuntu, see http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde (this guide applies to Hardy Heron).

Comment

Re: Move from Ubuntu to Kubuntu

Hi,

If I just move my machine to KDE3, does anyone know if there will be a way to upgrade to KDE4 when it is ready for production use (hopefully 4.1), and also if I can move all my KDE3 settings or if not I would want a way to remove my KDE3 settings after updating KDE4.

Thanks,
      Primary OS: Kubuntu Feisty Fawn, Secondary: WinXP Pro (Games Only)<br />Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz, 2GB RAM<br />ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256MB<br />15&quot; Widescreen Display (1280x800)<br />Pro/Wireless Network Card connecting to US Robotics 1908A Router<br />

Comment

Working...
      X