This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with print server SOLVED

After a failed installation of a network printer my printer is no longer accessible.

Error message:

Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
    Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: /var/run/cups/cups.sock: read failed (14).

"cups.sock" does not exist.

Attempted to sudo apt-get install cupsys cupsys-client

Failed with 'sudo: unable to resolve host pj' and the affirmation that cupsys is already installed and the latest version.

In the process of installing the network printer I renamed the computer 'pj' from a previous name that I forgot unfortunately.

Error log for cups shows that the IP for server 'pj' cannot be found.

Printer Wizard does not elp because all options are grayed out.

Now what?

Re: Problem with print server

Thank you for the information. I already had edited the hostname file to say 'pj'.Wwhenever I did any command line work, there first was a complaint about not able to identify host 'pj'.
    Since I also could not get the printer wizard to work (everything grayed out), I decided to uninstall cupsys and cupsys-??.

Then I reinstalled cupsys and cupsys-?? by following some command line instructions I found on the Net.
    It worked. I was able to install the printer. It is now working again.

cupsys, cupsys-client, cupsys bsd are all in the Kubuntu repositories.

This site helped me a lot by explaining the prtinter installation:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1831119

There is an even better one, with all the command line info, but I did not bookmark it.

Comment

Working...
    X