X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing HH on a existing Kubuntu machine

Hi all,

I have a HH machine that I crashed, my Home directory is on a separate partition.
    Can any one give me a step by step how to install HH again without loosing data?
    Thanx<br />Ryno<br /><br />Os = Kubuntu 9.10, Kde 4 dual boot with Win Xp<br />Linux user # 471903<br />Kubuntu user # 22225<br /><br />If you can see yourself as God does than you will have no limitations.

Re: Installing HH on a existing Kubuntu machine

If there is no way to recover your HH install then just do a normal install until you get to the username/password and partitioning part.
    For username give the unsername you used on your last install.

At the partitioning section choose manual partitioning.
    Choose your /home partition, DO NOT FORMAT and mount it as /home.

Next choose the partition you had your HH on last. FORMAT that and mount as /.
    select the defaults for the rest and you should be up and running.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hi Fintan,

I did that and now it is giving me the following

ERROR 22 There is no such partition
      Press any key to continue
      Thanx<br />Ryno<br /><br />Os = Kubuntu 9.10, Kde 4 dual boot with Win Xp<br />Linux user # 471903<br />Kubuntu user # 22225<br /><br />If you can see yourself as God does than you will have no limitations.

Comment

Error 22 is a GRUB error.
        So, apparently you DID install HH okay, tried to reboot, got a boot menu screen, selected HH, and then you got Error 22? If so, something is messed up but fixable. Your setup is simple (unless you haven't told us the whole story? ), so somehow you mis-specified a location OR the installer didn't get your drive right. Before anyone can go further here to help, you need to use the Kubuntu Live CD, re-boot, open Konsole, and type
        sudo fdisk -lu
        and post the result here.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi Qqmike,

It was setup as follow;
          1 x 160Gb SATA Hd
          Os - Win XP and Kubuntu HH (I use Kubuntu and only when I have to do drawing work I use XP)
          Partition:
          Win Os, Win data, Kubuntu, Home and finally Swap

Hope that is all that u need.

Comment

We need the
            sudo fdisk -lu
            or, a guess:

You have 5 partitions, all “primary”:
            Win Os, Win data, Kubuntu, Home and finally Swap

=> You have the following arrangement of partitions:

sda1 XP Primary
            sda2 data Primary
            sda3 Kubuntu Primary
            sda4 Extended Partition containing all the Logical partitions that follow
            sda5 /home Logical
            sda6 Swap Logical

In GRUB notation, those partitions are:

sda1 (hd0,0)
            sda2 (hd0,1)
            sda3 (hd0,2)
            sda4 Extended partition containing all the Logical partitions that follow
            sda5 (hd0,4)
            sda6 (hd0,5)

Basically, in your boot menu (the file /boot/grub/menu.lst), one of the device references (hdx,y) is referring to a partition y that does not exist.
            So, you have to access and, as root, edit your menu.lst to correct any wrong device references.

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
            Editing menu.lst:
            --- HOW To: Change the Default Operating System (Also: Changing the timeout, boot menu, and other tips) Reply #1

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If you don't manage to find it (the incorrect (hdx,y)), you might post your menu.lst here so we can try.

Comment

Hi Qqmike,

Here is the information as you have asked, my Menu.lst file is as an attachment.

Here is the info as you have asked:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/sda: 164.6 GB, 164696555520 bytes
                255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 20023 cylinders, total 321672960 sectors
                Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
                Disk identifier: 0xb8c352c2

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                /dev/sda1 * 63 61432559 30716248+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
                /dev/sda2 61432560 315805769 127186605 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
                /dev/sda3 315805770 321669494 2931862+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
                /dev/sda5 61432623 143347994 40957686 7 HPFS/NTFS
                /dev/sda6 227914218 315805769 43945776 83 Linux
                /dev/sda7 143348058 227914154 42283048+ 83 Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/hdd: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
                255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders, total 78165360 sectors
                Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
                Disk identifier: 0x67c267c2

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                /dev/hdd1 * 63 78156224 39078081 7 HPFS/NTFS
                ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Thanx for the help
                Attached Files

Comment

You have two bootable instances of XP? One on sda1 and one on sdd1?

Key: And your PC's BIOS is set to boot from which hard drive, the sda drive?

And, Kubuntu is on sda6 or sda7?

You are getting Error 22 because (probably) of this statement in your menu.lst:

root (hd1,6)

I'm guessing that hd1 is referring to the sdd drive and the sdd drive has no partition 6.
                  Whereas the sda drive does have partition 6 (= sda7) and sda7 is where your Kubuntu OS is?

(Note that in the notation (hd1,6), the 6 means partition 6 and that means the 7th partition since counting starts at zero: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 = 7 partitions.)

Guess:

If you change every
                  root (hd1,6)
                  to
                  root (hd0,6)
                  it will probably boot Kubuntu.

See the reference for editing menu.lst as root -- you'll have to do this from a Live Kubuntu CD since you are unable to boot into Kubuntu to do the edit.

We'll have to look at XP, but it looks like both XP's will boot OK but you may wish to include in menu.lst a better description of each XP in the title lines so you know which is which.

Comment

Qqmike,

The XP instance on SDD1 is redundant (should actually format it)

Key: And your PC's BIOS is set to boot from which hard drive, the sda drive? - Yes

And, Kubuntu is on sda6 or sda7? - (sda7)

Therefore, correct if I'mwrong,

sda7 will be hd0,6 (My kubuntu root)

Where can I find the reference regarding editing the above file as root?

Comment

try this to edit as root:
                      alt+F2 then type kdesudo kate
                      give your password and open /boot/grub/menu.lst

But first you will have to check that the uuid's are correct.

Please post us your /etc/fstab file so we can compare uuid's
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Fintan,

Thanx for the reply, I'm not at the machine right now, in about 1,6 hours I will be there.

Comment

You can do it as Fintan says.

And just to be complete here (sorry, I forgot the link!):

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
                          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
                          Editing menu.lst:
                          --- HOW To: Change the Default Operating System (Also: Changing the timeout, boot menu, and other tips) Reply #1

Comment

Hi Qqmike and Fintan,

Thanx for your help, my machine is up and running again and I must say I am impressed with linux and this home directory on another partition.
                            My machine looks as it was before it crashed on me.

Thanx again

Comment

Congratulations on a job well done!

May I ask, what worked for you? Did you manage to adjust to the right
                              (hd0,y)'s
                              or what?

Comment

Working...
                              X