This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install KDE without internet

Ok up till now I am have been using the method here to add a KDE session to my Ubuntu: http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

However, it takes bandwidth everytime I install KDE (lots of packages). How can I make it install KDE off a Kubuntu CD?

I am not sure if I asked this before, I think I asked on Ubuntu forums...
    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Install KDE without internet

I have not tried this, so I can't guarantee that it will work. What I would try is to add the Kubuntu CDROM to your /etc/apt/sources.list file, At the top of the file add a line that says:
    Code:
    deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release amd64 (20071016.2)]/ gutsy main restricted
    where you will have to change the version number, version name, Release code to i386 (or whatever), and date to whatever is appropriate for your CD.

I'm sorry I can't be more Hardy Heron specific, but I upgraded over the net, so I don't have a Hardy CD.

Comment

I am gonna try on my 7.10 system first as a test.

I am using the PC version.

ALSO: When I put in a Ubuntu on Kubuntu CD it says a CD with packages has been detected and asks if I wish to start the package manager. Should I? Like if I use the package manager can I install the stuff needed to get KDE?
      My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

As I said, I haven't tried it, but I believe that it is going to use the GUI to add the CDROM to your sources.list file. After that you can use a package manager to install anything that's oon the CD.

Comment

What packages do I install using the Package manager?

Comment

The kubuntu-desktop (or kubuntu-kde4-desktop for KDE4, but that's only in 8.4) installs all the required stuff plus many applications. Then you can install specific programs if you want.
            The Nomad&#39;s Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

Okay I was wondering if I do

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

once then burn the content of var/cache/apt/archives to a CD, the next time I need to install it, would I just copy the files from the CD and type in the same command again, and would it use the files already present?

Or I was also thinking of http://blog.mypapit.net/2007/03/put-...ntudebian.html. Would APt on CD do the same thing I just mentioned?

Or my third option would be to get the repositories on DVD, how many DVDs would they take? 1-2-3, more?

Comment

how many DVDs would they take? 1-2-3, more?
                I believe that just one will get you everything except for Restricted and Medibuntu, but again, I haven't tried it. It was only one DVD, the last time I installed from scratch.

Comment

Once DVD for just the basics?

What if I want Ubuntu-Restricted-Extras for MP3 playback?

What would wine be part of? Or supertuxkart, or emulators?

Anyways, I have a log file of when I tried to install the Kubuntu-Desktop package off the Kubuntu CD, do you want to see that. I have it on my USB hard drive if it would help.

Comment

One DVD for everything except Restricted (I'm not sure) and Medibuntu (definitely not on DVD).

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                      One DVD for everything except Restricted (I'm not sure) and Medibuntu (definitely not on DVD).
                      So what if I want restricted?

Comment

If it's not on the DVD, you'll have to download the stuff that you want. But, please check the contents of the DVD before you do, because it might be there.

Comment

Working...
                        X