This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"./configure" and "make" not working

Sorry to have so many problems but a new one has come up. After "untaring" a file I type ./configure in the appropriate folder and get the message "command not found". The same when I type "make" . Any ideas why?
    TIA
    Errol

Re: "./configure" and "make" not working

You need to have the compiler and appropriate linux headers installed. Open Adept Manager and search on compiler and you will (most likely) find you don't have one installed. On my HH system I have installed:
    g++
    g++-4.2
    gcc
    gcc-3.3-base
    gcc-4.1
    gcc-4.1-base
    gcc-4.2
    gcc-4.2-base
    pkg-config
    Then search on linux-headers
    You want to have the headers for your installed kernels. Again, on my HH system I have installed:
    linux-headers-2.6.24-16
    linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic
    linux-headers-generic
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Do you have ?

build-essential
      informational list of build-essential packages

This package contains an informational list of packages which are
      considered essential for building Debian packages. This package also
      depends on the packages on that list, to make it easy to have the
      build-essential packages installed.

More: FAQ: Installing from source
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks Rog! I knew I was forgetting something.

Comment

Originally posted by errol
          Sorry to have so many problems but a new one has come up. After "untaring" a file I type ./configure in the appropriate folder and get the message "command not found". The same when I type "make" . Any ideas why?
          TIA
          Errol
          I will not repeat the "build essentials" because two experts have already pointed it out for you. My only question is, do you have the file called "configure" in the root directory of thar file that you untarred?
          Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
          Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

As this happens on several untarred files I think the problem must be with the first solution suggested. I'm going to try that one soon and report back. This is a new formatted installation ok Hardy so why shouldn't the compiling files be installed?

Comment

This is a new formatted installation ok Hardy so why shouldn't the compiling files be installed?
              One might just as well ask why all 22,000+ packages aren't installed also. They aren't. Compiling from source isn't what most packaged Linux distribution users are apt to do, so the packages to support such are not installed by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                One might just as well ask why all 22,000+ packages aren't installed also. They aren't. Compiling from source isn't what most packaged Linux distribution users are apt to do, so the packages to support such are not installed by default.
                I agree. You can make the installer install everything by default, or keep the installed system minimal and let the user choose more advanced packages. Distributions like Fedora are closer to the former, thereby providing an installer DVD. OTOH, the Kubuntu installer media fits in a CD, and the base system is pretty light-weight. It is a matter of principle.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

./configure is not a system command, it tries to run the configure script from current working directory. If there isn't one, read the README or INSTALL files of the source package for installation instructions (it might use cmake instead, for example).

As already mentioned, you need 'build-essential' package to run 'make'.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                    ./configure is not a system command, it tries to run the configure script from current working directory. If there isn't one, read the README or INSTALL files of the source package for installation instructions (it might use cmake instead, for example).
                    A good point about cmake. Looks like more and more projects are shifting away from autoconf and leaning towards cmake... like KDE.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

It looks like I had both problems. Missing GCC files which I installed AND it seems that the "configure" file doesn't exist. Could someone please write more about using "cmake", I'd appreciate it.
                      Thanks
                      Errol

Comment

It looks like I had both problems. Missing GCC files which I installed AND it seems that the "configure" file doesn't exist. Could someone please write more about using "cmake", I'd appreciate it.
                        Does the tarball include any README file? If so, it should describe how you should proceed with the build process, including whether or not it actually uses cmake (or any other build system).

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Yes it does iclude a "readme" file. I'll follow the instructions. Thanks to all who set me on the path to a solution.
                          Errol

Comment

May I ask what you are trying to install?

You may find it has dependencies that it will complain about. Take note of what these are and install the relevant libfoobar-dev package. This will give you the development headers to allow other applications to be compiled against the library.

As to package selection, you should not, and indeed cannot install everything as many packages will conflict with one another, for example xpdf is not compatible with poppler as they both supply the same thing. Having many firewall apps would be silly as would multiple different webservers etc. The system is designed for desktop use from the word go, but can become a development system by choosing the relevant packages.

It is always easier to choose a precompiled deb package than compiling your own, but then again there is nothing like rolling your own (LFS anyone?)

Comment

I'm happy to share my "bigger problem" with you.
                              At the base of everything is the attempt to install a program called iota. If it's what I hope, it is supposed to be a program to database photographs which are on or off the computer - similar to a program call imatch which does the job in Windows. I won't know until I try it if it does the job.
                              In order to install it I need (according to the site of iota) berkely DB and imagemagick. I have tried to install those through apt-get with not much success. I then downloaded the tar of each of those two programs and came across the compile problem.
                              Errol

Comment

Working...
                              X