This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

checking home

After a lot of deliberations (with myself) I decided to reinstall Kubuntu with KDE3. The reasons for my frustration with KDE4 are described in a thread I wrote a while back.
    See thread http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3094189.0

The problem of doing stuff in terminal with KDE4 has become more of a problem. Besideds the stuff described above, I tried to install a program from source and got stuck because in the terminal I was getting messages like "no such command" after typing (for example) "./configure" or "make" etc.etc, So I am now going to install Kubuntu from scratch with KDE3. Maybe at a later stage I'll install KDE4. Now for my question.

If I leave my "/home" as is (and not format it) will EVERYTHING remain as is now. What I really am worried about is whether my e-mail, addresses will remain as is with all the rules I set. My e-mail program is Thunderbird and I always seem to have to reset everything up after installation. As you know Thunderbird is installed as a separate program and never seems to keep "old" settings. I loose my e-mails, have to re-setup my rules and install my address books again. Will having it in my "/home" (as I do) allow me to have my old settings. My "home" is on a separate partition. The same question applies for Firefox, but is more critical (for me) for Thunderbird.
    Errol

Re: checking home

Not formatting your /home partition will leave everything in it intact. What you will probably encounter though, is specific KDE4 settings that will be there in addition to the KDE3 settings that will be created.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog will that Include my Thunderbird settings and all my e-mail, etc?

Comment

Should. In Konqueror, navigate to ~/.kde/share/apps which contains the folders for the applications you use. The principle behind having a separate /home folder is so you don't loose all your individual user files and settings should you have to reinstall the root file system. That said though, I can't speak to what may (or may not) happen with Thunderbirds settings if you reinstall Kubuntu with KDE 3.

If you don't have a .kde folder, it may be named .kde4 or something (I'm not using KDE 4 so ...). If this is the case, then after you reinstall Kubuntu with KDE 3, you will still have the KDE 4 .kde folder with all it's subfolders. After installing Thunderbird, you may simply have to copy the Thunderbird folder in the KDE 4 .kde folder into the ~/.kde/share/apps folder.

Comment

Thank you for your response. I'll be doing the installation soon (today) and will report back.
          Errol

Comment

Re: checking home(solved)

Thanks a million Snowhog. Everything is working fine. All my e-mails etc. are there and I have now gone (back??) to KDE3.
            Errol

Comment

Ahhh, another satisfied Forum member. 8) Really, I'm happy to hear that all went well.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                Should. In Konqueror, navigate to ~/.kde/share/apps which contains the folders for the applications you use. The principle behind having a separate /home folder is so you don't loose all your individual user files and settings should you have to reinstall the root file system. That said though, I can't speak to what may (or may not) happen with Thunderbirds settings if you reinstall Kubuntu with KDE 3.
                This may be an unnecessary response as the OP is satisfied, but just FYI, Thunderbird is not a KDE program so its setup should not be found in ~/.kde. Therefore, its settings should remain intact as long as you leave your $HOME directory unformatted.
                Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
                Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Working...
                X