This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Kubuntu within Windows??

How is the option to "Install Kubuntu Within Windows" supposed to work? This option shows up if you mount the CD from within Windows. I thought I'd try this option first before repartitioning my Windows HDD. It completes the checksum and loading of files from the Image, but at the very end it displays an error message that says "Unable to access CD because it may be in use by another application". I ran a checksum on the CD image, and it checks out OK. I can also load the live image from CD, and even install it normally. Is this a bug in the new "Install within Windows" option?
    AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Re: Installing Kubuntu within Windows??

Originally posted by linxuser
    I wasn't aware of an install within windows, but I do remember a year ago installing my first 6.06 kubuntu viewing the install icon

from withing windows. It didn't do anything I just remember it was there.
    The new released version 8.04 apparently offers another option for installing a dual boot with windows. If you mount the CD while booted to windows, it will auto load a window with the option to install/uninstall Kubuntu from within windows. My first CD had an error, and wouldn't complete the install. I burnt a new CD and it installed OK. It installs the disk image in a folder named Kubuntu and modifies the bootloader so that you can boot either Windows or Kubuntu. It's like running the Kubuntu Live CD, except it's run from a folder within Windows. You can even update, and install programs just like a complete install. It uses an emulator called WUBI to manage the compatibility issue. Neat!
    AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Comment

Re: Installing Kubuntu within Windows??

The vmware is by Ubiquity. The short name is WUBI. Now if I can just get the nvidia drivers installed, and correct the aspect ratio so it looks good on my widescreen monitor.

Comment

Working...
      X