This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having issues installing 64bit version

I have just rebuilt my media center PC with an AMD 3800+ 64 bit mobo and CPU. When I try to install Hardy Heron, I get all kinds of errors. The one preventing me from completing the install is either the CD, CD drive, or hard disk is bad. I used the CD checker from the Hardy Heron install CD, and it said 20 files are bad. I've already wasted 5 CD's trying to get Hardy to work. I've downloaded the the iso's from 2 different mirrors on two different computers, using 2 different CD burners and software and nothing seems to work. Could some one provide me with a mirror known to work, preferably in the USA.

Also, when first installing Hardy, I get pages and pages of SQUASHFS errors not being able to read block xxxxxxxxx. Any clues as to what that means and will cause issues late on? Keep in mind that I am a Linux Newbie! Thanks.

Re: Having issues installing 64bit version

It sounds like your problems are "all about the CD". I doubt that your mirror is the problem -- you can verify that you have a good downloaded ISO file by checking the md5sum of the downloaded file against the md5sum number on the download site. If the number matches, you have a good download (which I expect you do).

If you're using Windows, just Google "md5sum" and get a free utility for checking the md5sum of a download. There was one poster a while back who I think never did get Windows to do a correct download, but that's very abnormal -- it could have been a virus or something.

So, if it's not the download, then it's one of three things:

- the blank CD media
    - the CD burner, or
    - the burn process

Since you've already used two different optical drives, it's probably not your hardware. You might want to try a different brand of blank media. I just had my first experience with bad CD media this past weekend (Staples generic brand) -- it worked once and then was a coaster later the same day.

On the burn process, do the following:

- 4X speed
    - "DAO" mode, if available

I hope there's some help in here somewhere.

Comment

Re: Having issues installing 64bit version

Thanks for the advice! The checksums are the same. I will try and burn it @ 10x (the slowest Roxio will let me) and see how it does. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X