Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove Grub when Kubuntu is already uninstalled.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove Grub when Kubuntu is already uninstalled.

This is the second time it happens to me.

I uninstalled Kubuntu 8.04 using Windows Vista (it was installed at Windows Vista). However, the Grub remains every time I boot the CPU with Windows Vista and Kubuntu options. Kubuntu is unavailable to startup (because it was removed).

How do I remove the Grub? Kubuntu was already removed.

Re: How to remove Grub when Kubuntu is already uninstalled.

You can't just remove Grub, that would make your computer unbootable. Rather, you need to replace it with the Windows bootloader. Try reading stuff on MS's website, like http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us (don't know if bootrec.exe is available in the installed Vista, try it and see!)
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Vista *** The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
      http://apcmag.com/dualboot
      I think they address this issue.
      Vista has some capabilities in that direction.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by rafaelslima
        This is the second time it happens to me.

I uninstalled Kubuntu 8.04 using Windows Vista (it was installed at Windows Vista). However, the Grub remains every time I boot the CPU with Windows Vista and Kubuntu options. Kubuntu is unavailable to startup (because it was removed).

How do I remove the Grub? Kubuntu was already removed.
        Boot from your original Vista installation DVD (- if you have one...<smile.>) and then look for the options to repair existing installation - there is an option repair vista boot manager or similar if I remember rightly.

For the xp folks - boot from your xp install cd.. head for repair console and then at the c:/windows prompt enter fixmbr <enter!>
        reboot.

I am told you can also do this with an interrupted (F8) start without using the cd but I have not tried this (-applies to xp.)

Comment

Problem solved. Thanks.
          The problem realy was with Windows Boot Manager instead of Grub, what I thought at the begining.

To edit Windows boot manager: My Computer > Properties > "Avançado" > Initialization (press button Configuration).

Comment

Working...
          X