This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown keyboard layout in login window

When I first installed hardy A4 I couldn't log in. I subsequently determined that it was using an odd layout whore home keys are uiea kmly, but the i isn't really an i as the capital has a dot ever it. I diagrammed the entire keyboard by tping every line into the username line. I arrived at a workaround for the uname, but since I can't find a proper i I can't log into Thunderbird, which usese my AT&T password. The AT&T password works fine in the AT&T window and the regular password work fine for sudo, etc.

My base layout in Dvorak. Using Alt-F1 produces the same add layout that the KDE window uses. This didn't happen on other upgraded machines but I had other problems with them. I have made other attempts on this machine but this install works (after all the updates) works best except for the password problem. Would changing to KDE4 solve the problem? I would have tried that already if I could figure out how to get it (adept and sybaptic don't work). Or is there a file I can replace that governs the KDE login window?

Re: Unknown keyboard layout in login window

I found info on KDE.org's KDE4 page about getting KDE4 from the backports in adept. It downloaded but now I can't see how to run 4 instead of 3. I rebooted thinking I would be presented with a choice but that didn't happen.

Comment

Re: Unknown keyboard layout in login window: PARTIALLY RESOLVED

I found in a Kubuntu forum that there are settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf relating to keyboard layout. Under Keyboard, I changed mine to "XkbdLayout" "us" and "XkbdVariant" "dvorak". This fixed the problem with login password, but doesn't help with Thunderbird.

Apparently KDE 4 wouldn't help, but I did get it downloaded and supposedly installed by Adept, but I can't see how to acwivate it. I expected to be given a choice of desktop at boot time.

Comment

Re: Unknown keyboard layout in login window

Did you look in Alt-F2 "kcontrol"? There you choose "Regional & Accessibility" and then "Keyboard Layout". If you choose a layout (U.S.A, for example) then you have a drop-down window for "variants" and there are several Dvorak variants listed to choose from.

Comment

Working...
        X