This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what command from login takes you to the graphical desktop

I have what I believe to be a flawless new installation upon an old gateway that I formated. But Kubuntu displays the icon, and then loads into a command line startup. I can enter my name and password then it takes me to Linux line commands. I have no experience with Linux commands and their use.
    I need the graphical desktop system while I learn Linux and would like it to boot into the graphical desktop. The operating system I installed is Kubuntu KDE4 8.04.
    So....... would anyone be willing to help me get going? Please.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Re: what command from login takes you to the graphical desktop

startx

But if you're not getting the graphical login I expect that won't work either. Probably your graphics card isn't being auto-detected. Do you know what graphics card you have?
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

I did discover startx in the meantime, it tried, but driver 0 problems.

I pulled the graphics card- 1997 STB Systems, Inc. 1X0-0567-305 per the label. Additional numbers on th label are: 18 15/1998 LP2-T2
      Numbers embedded in the actual board: 210-0262-001 9751

Apparently the 51rst week of 1997, or 15th day of 1998..... anyhow it is ancient.

I had switched an XP problem computer in my office to Ubuntu 8.04 about three weeks ago and it is performing well. It is a Gateway 2004 model. I had read that the Kubuntu version may have a "better" user interface, so I thought I would throw in on a discarded 233mhz, 256k memory, 17.5 gb hard drive machine to play with it. I am probably putting too much on an old machine.

I apprectiate your help.

Comment

I thought I would also add this: When the system boots I get

A beautiful kubuntu geared logo with the word kubuntu and graphical loading box with advancing blue booting bar all the way across the box.... then:

ACPI Unable to load system description tables.
        Loading, please wait.
        kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/sda6) = sda6(8,6)
        kinit: trying to resume from /dev/sda6
        kinit; No resume image, doing normal boot...

Ubuntu 8.04 ubuntuofficenorth tty1

ubuntuofficenorth login:

I can login fine and run line commands (which I am not well or even remotely familiar with)

Comment

The graphics you see are done via the framebuffer, not X.org. If you can, load up /var/log/Xorg.0.log and look for [EE] at the start of the line.

if you only have the command line you can install midnight commander
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install mc
          and use its viewer facility or in the shell
          Code:
          cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
          that will show what errors are occurring.

If it works ok you should see

Code:
          $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
              (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
          (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
          any other errors will help track down the error, I suspect if you alter /etc/X11/xorg.conf to have the line
          Code:
          Driver "vesa"
          in the device section will fix it

Comment

Working...
          X