Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boot Kubuntu from an external HDD using BIOS?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot Kubuntu from an external HDD using BIOS?

I just picked up an external HDD from newegg. I want to install Kubuntu 8.04 on it. I have a 52GB EXT3 partition all set up for it. What I want to know is whether or not it's possible to set up Kubuntu to boot from the HDD when I select the option from my bios (as opposed to having a GRUB boot menu appear).

Re: Boot Kubuntu from an external HDD using BIOS?

It's not really a function of Kubuntu, it's a function of your BIOS, and how it "reads" the devices on your system. If it's of recent vintage, there should be a "USB Boot <enable>" option in it, and you need to make sure it is set to "enable".

The other issue, also BIOS, is the boot device sequence. You may need to twiddle the list of devices to get it to see the external USB hard drive ahead of the internal hard drive, and don't have a CD in the optical drive or that might be a problem.

Finally, if you have another bootable OS on that external hard drive, and its partition has the "boot" flag set, that could be a problem too. Without a Grub boot menu, you may be limited to only one OS on the external hard drive.

Good luck with it!

Comment

I know about the BIOS, Both my desktop and laptop have the requisite option, that's how I was planning to do it. According to your post however, it looks like all I need to do is set the "boot" flag on my EXT3 partition of the external HDD and then select "Boot from USB drive from my BIOS boot menu.

Is this true?

Comment

How To Make GRUB Thumb Drive
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081748.0
        How to install K/Ubuntu 7.04 to an external USB hard disk drive (HDD), Reply #1
        (you don't need all that--just scan it for what you need)

The boot flag won't matter--just make sure the boot flag * is set * on the external USB (using GParted Live CD).

>> During the installation of Kubuntu on the USB, install GRUB to the MBR of the external USB drive <<
        That's the key; that's it.

Assuming, as dibl says, that your BIOS supports "boot from USB."

EDIT:
        "it looks like all I need to do is set the "boot" flag on my EXT3 partition of the external HDD and then select "Boot from USB drive from my BIOS boot menu.
        Is this true?"

Yes.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X