X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem starting x when installing 8.04

Hi,

First-time poster here.

I've been able to search and find many threads about this problem, and I've tried about everything that's been suggested.

Basically, when I run the install disk for 8.04 (i386), the x-server fails and I get an error like:

"Fatal server error: no screens found"

I've tried reconfiguring xorg.conf, manually entering 'vesa', etc... but no luck. Some threads suggest there is no fix to this problem, but I thought I'd check anyhow. Perhaps I should try installing an older version of Kubuntu?

My specs:
    LG laptop (E200)
    Win XP on one partition
    ATI Radeon X1250 card
    etc

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Re: Problem starting x when installing 8.04

I can tell you that I have hardy working on my LG E200 laptop. I had exactly the same problem as you but found that if you use the alternate install CD then it all goes fine.

There are several quirks that you should be aware of. I am sorry that I can not give you exact advice as I am travelling and do not have it with me.

First for some strange reason the laptop sometimes "hangs" during the install and the boot. I found that holding down the shift key would get it to "revive".

From what I remember during or after the install I had to type the following command:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

then select the options from the list. These included the display as 1280x800 and the driver as fglrx.... the rest I cant remember.

After installation I performed and update that solved the above quirks.

Thats it. good luck and post again if you have more problems and I (and others) will try our best to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Quantumstate

However it installed LILO rather than Grub.
      AFAIK, Alternate CD installs Grub by default -- but it will ask you where you want it installed. If it installs LILO, that would be an option, not the default bootloader.

Comment

you need to reconfigure your x try:
        Code:
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
        if it does not work search here:

http://www.scripts-net.com

Comment

Originally posted by Quantumstate

when XFS fell to pieces
          You too, huh?

I still have some XFS data partitions, but I don't believe I'll be using it for a root filesystem any more.

Comment

Working...
          X