This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO Boot at Start up with 8.04

This is probably an idot case on my behalf but i can rune ubuntu or kubuntu gusty no problems at all

I can rune Hardy 8.04 from the cd same as ubuntu but after i install either of them they wont boot.

The grub loading and count down comes up, it then goes into the graphics of the the Kubuntu in blue with the blue horizontal bar moving side to side But nothing else. No hard drive activity at all.

It with boot from the recovery option at the start up menu but thats all

Halp Please

Martyn

Re: NO Boot at Start up with 8.04

Can you confirm you are able to start when you select the recovery option from the grub boot menu?

If so, I presume you start without the splash screen and with all boot message scrolling by. Do you something strange here?

Try to boot the normal boot entry, but enable the boot messages. To do that, after boot go to the desired entry on the grub menu and press 'e' to edit the entry (don't worry, will only be for one time). You'll see the grub boot commands. Go to the line containing the kernel. At the end you see the words 'quiet' and 'splash'. Remove these and boot (using the key 'b'). Then watch the boot messages go by, until something strange happens.

Are you able to post the /var/log/kern.log output?
    Kubuntu 9.10<br />

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your interest.

If i boot from the recovery option its ok.

If i let it try to boot from default option it just hangs at the first graphic interface with the Kubuntu name in blue and the blue horizontal bar moving side to side as if its about to install. The same happens with ubuntu and it seems to be any KDE distribution with 3.5.9 system.

ALso its the new 2.22 gnome distros that do the same. Any distros with 3.5.8 work perfectly.

Extra info, i have a sony vaio laptop, dual core, 2 gb ram 120gb hd if this is any help.

Martyn

Comment

Reboot. At the Grub menu, press F6 and arrow down to the kernel line and press 'e' to edit the line. Arrow all the way to the right. Locate the options quiet and splash and delete them. Press 'b' to boot.

Removing the quiet option allows you to see all the boot process messages. Removing the splash option keeps the splash screen (Kubuntu et al) from showing during boot. If you still aren't able to get to the KDE Desktop, then you will be able to see the last message(s) on screen and those will be very helpful in solving your problem. Note them (write them down) and reply with the messages.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your help on this

I tried an installation today and even trying to install from the cd at boot it still hung, but i got the following message

BUG: SOFT LOCKUP - CPU#1 Stuck for 11S! [MODPROBE:1281]

This message then keeps repeating itself. I have also had this message when i manage to install Kubuntu and try and boot from the hard drive

the only way i can install from the cd is to press F6 at boot and select ACPI off.

But once its installed on the hard drive it wont boot again even with that setting. It only boots in recovery.

Thanks

martyn

Comment

Did you install the remix 8.04 LiveCD (KDE 4) or 8.04 w/KDE 3.5.9?

Comment

Hi

It happens with both versions 3.5.9 and remix

It also happens with ubuntu 2.22, gusty runs with no problems at all

It also seems to happen with any 3.5.9 distro i try to install

If it helps..

Sony Vaio laptop vgn-n385n
              Centrino dual core T5300
              2 gigs ram
              120 gig hd

Regards,

Martyn

Comment

On your Grub Boot menu, do you have all three kernels to choose from:
                kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
                kernel 2.6.24-15-generic
                kernel 2.6.24-12-generic

Have you tried with the other two (if you have them)?

Comment

No, i just have the 2.6.24 - 16generic. Thats the same in the default choice as in the recovery option. I tried editing the default by removing "quiet" but that made no difference.

Comment

Open a console and CD to /boot and see if you have the other kernels:
                    Code:
                    ls -l vm*-generic
                    If you do, reboot and edit the kernel and initrd lines and change the -16- to -15- and continue to boot.

Comment

Working...
                    X