This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 of 2 Hard drives detected

Well, I want to have a fresh install of Kubuntu so I downloaded the hardy cd and put the cd in my drive. The live cd only detected one hard drive. I have two drives: my primary drive which is SATA and my secondary drive which is ATA/IDE. Kubuntu detects my SATA drive but not my ATA/IDE drive. I have tried disconnecting my SATA drive, but it still doesn't detect it. Any suggestions?

Re: 1 of 2 Hard drives detected

One thing to check is to go in the BIOS to make sure it is at least being seen there. If not, then you may have a bad drive. If it is, then I don't really no what to say. I'm just curious on the BIOS part to at least get started here.

Comment

It is selected in the BIOS as the secondary drive. I also have Windows installed on another partition and when I boot into it I use an ext3 viewer to see the drive as well. I also had Kubuntu 7.10 installed and it detected it as well. I like using fresh installs when I upgrade the distribution though which is why it's so weird that 8.04 is not detecting the drive.

Comment

So this drive is a NTFS drive? Or is it FAT32?

Comment

The ATA/IDE drive that Kubuntu is not recognizing is an EXT3 partition. But that shouldn't matter anyway, it should pick it up anyway.

Comment

Hmmm...EXT3 should very well be IDed. I could probably have helped with an NTFS problem. I'll search around and see if I can find you anything that might help.

Comment

I have this problem too. It's not being detected at all in my system, as if it doesn't exist. I posted this weeks ago without a single response to mine, so I started digging deeper and found several suggestions, none of which worked. Most people who got it to work did it by setting the drive mode in the bios to raid rather than sata or ide. There's also a script you can run if it's a dell computer. All this info is in the ubuntu forums, though, no help here.

Comment

I had a similar problem http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3093754.0
                I eventually gave up and reinstalled 7.10

I tried setting the SATA drive to RAID but then the SATA drive wasn't recognised and IDE still wasn't detected.

My next step is to update the BIOS

Comment

Working...
                X