This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 & Terminal Commands

I have installed Hardy with KDE4 on two computers. The one distro was downloaded yesterday and the computer was loaded from scratch. On the other computer (because of problems described elsewhere) Kubuntu and KDE4 was loaded on a computer previously installed with Ubuntu Hardy. On both computers I have the same problem when trying to enter ANYTHING from Konsole. I will give two examples to help understand the problem.
    When typing (without parenthesis) "kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list". after being asked for my password I get a message "no command kate". The command can be "sudo" or kdesudo" - same result.
    When typing "/boot/grub/menu.lst" (or ANY command) I get the message "no such file".
    The replies I get may not be worded exactly as received but the implications are the same. I cannot use Konsole in KDE4 as I used it in KDE3.
    From my knowledge of Windows I am presuming that the "mapping" is not correct and that there should be some way of setting this up. As this is a bug I found on two different computers each installed by a different method I presume there is a simple solution either in Hardy OR KDE4.
    Help Please.
    Errol

Re: KDE4 & Terminal Commands

I just tried it (kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list) on my HH kde4 machine. works fine.

I didn't know:
    Code:
    /boot/grub/menu.lst
    was a command :P

will try it on my kde4 only install and report back.

Edit:
    Okay, on my kde4 only install this doesn't work either:
    Code:
    kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
    neither from the termnal nor from the "run command" screen (alt+F2) > "command not found"

sudo apt-get commands work fine though.

and kdesudo kate, konqueror, etc don't work with the same error message from the "run command" window (alt+F2) so it is probably just a little bug in kde4 "pure" and will be resolved shortly.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

[quote=Fintan ]

I didn't know:
      Code:
      /boot/grub/menu.lst
      Sorry Fintan I was trying to show that when looking for a file the reply given is "file not found. Again this was a\n example of KDE4 Konsole being "mapped" incorrectly.

will try it on my kde4 only install and report back.

Edit:
      Okay, on my kde4 only install this doesn't work either:
      Code:
      kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
      neither from the termnal nor from the "run command" screen (alt+F2) > "command not found"

sudo apt-get commands work fine though.

and kdesudo kate, konqueror, etc works from the "run command" window (alt+F2) so it is probably just a little bug in kde4 "pure" and will be resolved shortly.

Thanks for the info. How will I know when (and if) such a bug is corrected? Should I post a notice on bugzilla?

Errol

Comment

You are welcome
        Have a look here first:
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I just tried ALt-F2 command screen and had the same problem when typing "kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list" (this is only an example of ALL commands). The same notice "command not found" that I got when using Konsole.
          Errol

Comment

Sorry I misphrased that. I'll have to correct that post. You are right kdesudo doesn't seam to work at the moment.
            I forgot about that because I rarely use the kde4 "pure" install. Now I remember why :P :P
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

From what I'm experiencing, commands that use root such as Kate or Konqueror, well, all of them really, don't work. Root can't find the correct path for some reason. You have to specify the full path to those programs that you want to use KDESUDO or even SUDO. IE:

Code:
              kdesudo /usr/lib/kde4/bin/kate

Comment

Yes I realized that one has to type the whole command, but it is very inconvenient. In KDE3.* there was no such problem. Hopefully the powers that be will solve this annoying bug.
                Errol

Comment

I hope they do as well. I agree that it is annoying. Very annoying.

Comment

Working...
                  X