This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointed with Hardy Heron upgrade

I'd have to say that I was less than pleased with the Hardy Heron upgrade. I had a great deal of problem with xorg.conf and my Nvidia video card. EnvyNG wouldn't run in GUI but it seemed to run in CLI. But every time I'd try to set by Nvidia settings I couldn't get an X window environment on the next boot. And when I'd reconfig xorg.conf then I'd lose my Nvidia settings.

I was extremely disappointed with the installation of FireFox 3.0 beta with Hardy Heron. If you're going to put out what appears to be a GA version of Kubuntu don't throw in a beta program with it.

I've finally solved most of my problems. I reinstalled 7.10. Of course that went a little less than smooth since running upgrades on everything that had already been upgraded before I went to 8.04 just crashed and burned leaving me with a File 15 error in Grub.

Next time I'll make sure I image my 7.10 install before considering the upgrade.

But thanks to all to being here to help.
    David<br />Chandler, AZ<br /><br />Kubuntu 7.10

Re: Disappointed with Hardy Heron upgrade

Originally posted by dwneylonsr
    If you're going to put out what appears to be a GA version of Kubuntu don't throw in a beta program with it.
    GA?
    Golden Asomething?
    Great Adventure?

Make separate /home partition and do clean install every six months, leave upgrades to masochists.

Comment

or, just go for the normal HH 8.04 (not the remix) and then get firefox-2 from Add/Remove Programs..
      Seems to work pretty good so far (after a week).
      (Some issues mounting drives, but I don't yet see a pattern well enough to complain too much.)

EDIT:
      Oh yes, I fully agree with klerfayt on doing fresh installs from live CD each time.
      fwiw.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Sorry, guess GA is one thing that didn't carry over from the business world. GA is General Availability. That's when software, or hardware for that matter, is available to general users, i.e. no longer beta.

Fortunately I did make /home a separate partition not long after installing 7.10. Since doing the 8.04 upgrade I've done 2 fresh installs. The first time I went back to 7.10 I ran all the automatic upgrades and it crashed and burned. So I did it again and did the upgrades a few at a time. And did partimage backups in between those. I may try the Hardy Heron upgrade in a couple of months but will definitely backup my current configuration before doing so.

David<br />Chandler, AZ<br /><br />Kubuntu 7.10

Comment

Originally posted by klerfayt
          Originally posted by dwneylonsr
          If you're going to put out what appears to be a GA version of Kubuntu don't throw in a beta program with it.
          GA?
          Golden Asomething?
          Great Adventure?

Make separate /home partition and do clean install every six months, leave upgrades to masochists.
          Very sensible advice. I wish the default live CD was configured to have a /home partition. And contrary to many here I have no major issues with HH KDE remix just minor annoyances with unfamiliarity and bugs, but all forgiven 'cos it's work in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by klerfayt

leave upgrades to masochists.

Comment

Working...
            X