This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade and install of hardy heron troublesome

I have tried to install hardy heron directly to 2 computers and to upgrade gutsy gibbon on the third one in my home network.
    On one computer direct installation went well. Everything o.k. except network and internet connection. Knetworkmanager does not assign addresses. All zero's for ip, broadcast and gateway. If I set to automatic dhcp, knetworkmanager does not adapt. If I give manual fixed addresses knetworkmanager says there is no active wired network.
    On the second computer installation went well, everything worked but when I restart X does not start. When I login and give the startx command it attempts to start up the x window but the screen remains black.
    The third computer having a nvidia nforce 500 chip aboard has always been very fussy about installing linux. Driver problems! Gutsy gibbon however has always been the positive exception. It installed on jbod disks provided there is no overlap between disks without the slightest problem, however hardy heron does not install. If I start the procedure it lands in a text screen with >initramfs with a limited amount of commands. So I tried the workaround by installing gutsy gibbon and doing a network upgrade. This works fine, but on completion and restart I land again in this >initramfs.
    The number of drivers in the new version seems to be very limited. I could not find the nvidiasata driver.
    Is the new version immature and should I wait or are there solutions available?
    Johan

Re: Upgrade and install of hardy heron troublesome

Hello
    Actually, those were quite a few questions.
    To take the last one first: I believe nobody is pretending that the KDE4 version is mature yet, but the KDE3 is supposed to be very stable. (These are the two versions of Hardy).

But of course backward engineering of non-open closely guarded source code is extremely time-consuming, and I suppose that it will never be achieved for each of the myriad drivers out there, not even by K/Ubuntu. I don't know about your Nvidia chip.

As for the networking issue you refer to: It sounds very similar to something I ran into in Gutsy. I tried to "manually configure", was asked if I wanted to save my settings, saved them and was subsequently unable to get back the automatic dhcp, because my underlying settings did not allow it.

So I found a solution in the online "help" and I wrote a note about it here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=761963

Hope this can be of some help.

Comment

Hardy Heron itself (8.04) seems quite stable, in comparison to the past 3 releases of Kbuntu.

KDE4, on the other hand, is definitely a "work in progress", as kle says.

I would first suspect video problems on both the second and third computers that you tried - it's very common. Maybe this will help:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

Comment

One problem solved. For unclear reason hardy tried to assign the resolution 1152x864 not supported by my old crt screen after installing the ati radeon driver from the ati site. In safe mode I could redress this to the right resolution 1024X768 refresh rate 75 Hz.
        ATI Catalyst Control Center does not work saying no driver might be installed or the wrong driver. My system settings however gives ATI Radeon (fglrx) video card, ati driver and plug and play screen and I can set multiple resolutions and refresh rates. Puzzling! I don't understand why the control center does not work.

Reinstalling hardy heron on the other computer did not help. Knetwork manager still does not assign adresses. If I go to manual installation it shows ip 169.254.6.167 netmask 255.255.0.0 broadcast 169.254.255.255 but no gateway. If I set to automatic dhcp nothing changes in the settings. If I fill in the correct manual settings: ip 192.168.2.2, netmask 255.255.255.0, broadcast 192.169.2.255, gateway 192.168.2.1 then knetworkmanager does not see an active wired interface. The nic is RTL8111/6168B.
        The solutions given don't give me a clue as I have a wired network.

The problem with the nvidia nforce 500 chip (ASrock AliveNF%-eSATA2+) motherboard was not addressed yet. How do I get out of the cul de sac : (initramfs) ?
        Johan

Comment

Working...
        X