This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q about download choices

Can you help me verify which image to download for my needs? Here is what I want:
    --I'd like KDE4
    --I have an Intel Core 2 Quad (Q9450) cpu
    --I want to set up LVM during the install to create LVM logical volumes for /home, /var, etc. (but not / and /boot of course)

So I think I want kubunte-kde4-8.0.4-alternate-amd64.iso. Am I right?

This image is 694M, but the DVD (kubuntu-8.04-dvd-amd64.iso) is 3.2G. Besides being able to boot live (and I presume having KDE3), what is different about the DVD image? Is it better to install from the DVD, then upgrade to KDE4 with apt? Does the DVD install give you the chance to set up LVM during the install?

Thanks for your advise!

Re: Q about download choices

I may be wrong, but I think the DVD sort of has everything. Ie both live and alternate installers. Whether it has KDE4 I don't know. I think the cd image you've mentioned is correct.

BTW, you can have LVM /, it's only /boot that needs to be a normal partition. DON'T let it install with /boot on LVM - it will work, and install LILO to boot, but LILO knows nothing about the LVM, just where the kernel image is - if you change your setup and it gets moved, your system becomes unbootable.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Thanks, I went with the dvd image with KDE 3 (I figured I could upgrade KDE later). When I got to the manual disk formatting screen, I saw it could not do LVM. (Maybe the alternate install can?). So I quit the install, then followed this guide: http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-instal...lvm-filesystem. Didn't have time to finish, but got the partitions set up, and I'll see how the install itself goes later today.

Comment

Yes, LVM is only supported by the alternate installer.
        I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Working...
        X