This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.04 upgrade: Grub error 18, loadnig stage 1.5

I made a CD from net download. For my HP Pavilion ZE2000; with the hreaheh XP, I elected to have the installer split the hd and leave XP for occasional use. Installation went well but when I tried to boot I got the above error. Apparently it's in GRUB, though I hadn't yet told it where to go first. Di I need to edit menu.lst? If so, what should it contain wtih XP in p. 1, hardy in p. 2, and swap in p. 3?

Re: 8.04 upgrade: Grub error 18, loadnig stage 1.5

First, we need to make sure GRUB is installed correctly, and in the process, hopefully, fix that Error 18.

Start up the Live Kubuntu CD.
    Open
    K > System > Konsole Terminal program
    type
    sudo grub
    that gives you a GRUB prompt, like grub>

Next, checkout your drive and partitions using the geometry command at the grub>:
    grub> geometry (hd0)
    that should show you what you said you have on that drive.
    Now, just to play & explore to be sure we are where we know we should be, type:
    grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
    That should return your Hardy partition (hd0,1)
    (Note: In GRUB, counting starts at zero; so hd0 is the first hard drive, and the “1” indicates the second partition (counting 0 for partition 1, then 1 for partition 2, ...).)

Now, using that GRUB file (stage1, in (hd0,1)), reinstall GRUB to be Master Boot Record of that hard drive as follows:
    grub> root (hd0,1)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit
    exit
    exit out of the Live CD session and reboot to test it.

=> While you are in the Live CD session, you might also copy the /boot/grub/menu.lst just in case we need it if this doesn't work. Copy it to a flash drive or CD/DVD or, worst case, just write down the important parts (title HH and title XP with the root, kernel and initrd statements for each); or, worst case, just use Konqueror browser to get here and copy it to a post in this thread with a brief note).

You will have to mount the hard drive (device) hd0 = sda to get menu.lst.
    This How-To shows how, if you need it:
    How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
    --- HOW To: Change the Default Operating System (Also: Changing the timeout, boot menu, and other tips) Reply #1

So, something like:
    grub> root (hd0,1)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit
    >>> do not exit yet <<<
    and now at a regular prompt.
    sudo mkdir /media/sda
    sudo mount /dev/sda /media/sda
    kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
    and it will open
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
    X