This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Recovering a 8.4 upgrade

OK, so i made the mistake of upgrading from kubuntu 64-bit 7.10 to 8.4 when it asked me if I wanted to. (my newb sign is on order from Amazon) 2 Hours into the upgrade process my system locked hard, waited an hour to be sure then powered it down and rebooted. It loads but my primary user's home directory is on my desktop, the net connection is down and the updater crashes every time I try to run it.

To make matter's worst, I didn't back up my data (12+ Gb in family photo's and vid's).

Is there any way to fix this? Live CD install?

It's a dual boot system (XP Pro for WoW) so I don't want to lose the data on either partition.

Thanks for you help.
    - Ken

Re: Need Help Recovering a 8.4 upgrade

you can use the liveCD to do backups but you'll need to mount it manually and sudo thru the terminal, ie: sudo dolphin to browse and do backups ,etc...

If you want to keep the ol' messed up part of the install and install a cleaner/newer install to also help with backing up, then what you'll need to do is create a partition and don't go full when asked in the install process.

Later you should then able after backing up and got everything you need, re-size it to take up the full hard drive or keep it and make it your /home partition for easier installs later without wiping your /home partition.
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

Re: Need Help Recovering a 8.4 upgrade

Or you could use ext2ifs to do the backup from windows:
      http://www.fs-driver.org/

In case your ext2/3 drive does not show up in Windows you might have to use a LiveCD to clean the file system using fsck.

Comment

Working...
      X