Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Install to hard drive on one computer, then move hard drive to another computer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install to hard drive on one computer, then move hard drive to another computer?

I searched the forums, but I think my search terms such, cos I can't find any posts. I have a computer that the CD isn't working on for some odd reason. I'd like to take the hard drive, hook it up to another computer as an external, install kubuntu on it, then put the hard drive back in the computer with the broken CD drive. What would I need to do during install to make this possible, and what things would I need to reconfigure after install? Is there some script I could run to force the install to reconfigure itself for the existing hardware?

Re: Install to hard drive on one computer, then move hard drive to another computer?

If it's possible to install on an external hard drive, then your method will work. Personally, I have never installed to an external hard drive. However, I've done something close to that. Hard Kubuntu 7.1 installed on one computer, mainboard went south and bought another. Hooked it up and voila, unlike getting a blue screen of death like some other operating system would do, I had no problems booting up and carrying on like nothing happened. Thanks in part to Linux modularity.

To me, that equates to hooking up one hard drive in one computer, then transferring it to another computer. But like I said, I am not sure how it would work with an external hard drive as I've never done so. I'd just hook it up internally just to make sure unless someone else have installed it to an external hard drive and wants to share their experience.
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

Re: Install to hard drive on one computer, then move hard drive to another computer?

Possibly the following tutorial may help?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=599599

Comment

Hey Helwitch I have several main drives with many different distros on them and they can all be moved from computer to computer without any hassels except that i have to turn off my nvidia drivers first before switching them but once I switch them out then I just reinstall the drive actually I just turn it on with the hardware driver manager. Thats it for me. Hope that helps.

Comment

Re: Install to hard drive on one computer, then move hard drive to another compu

Thanks trw, that's good to know!

Comment

Working...
          X