This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hardy does not reboot/shutdown cleanly

After upgrading to hardy I noticed that if cannot shut down/reboot cleanly by clicking on the menu buttons. For example if I choose shutdown the screen goes black, but the power does not get turned off, if I select reboot, the same thing happens and I have power it off myself.

However sudo reboot works fine.

How do I figure out what is causing the problem?

Re: hardy does not reboot/shutdown cleanly

kate /boot/grub/menu.lst

have you edited that file before?
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

(1)Take a look at K>"System Settings">Advanced>"Session Manager". Which options have you chosen?
      (2)The "reboot" command is only one of several variations of the "shutdown" command. Take a look at "man shutdown" and "man reboot". Then fool around with some of the options.
      (3) Hardy (and I believe Gutsy) use a new, "improved" OS startup (and shutdown) technique called "upstart" in place of the classic "init" system. The program is being developed by Canonical for *buntu Check out recent upstart bugs at Launchpad, to determine whether someone else has had the same problem.

BTW, I'm not sure what /boot/grub/menu.lst would hve to do with your problem.

Comment

i once put acpi=off in the grub menu as an option and had around the same problem, until I removed that option, then and only then did the problem go away. That's why I asked.
        Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

Originally posted by acarchau
          After upgrading to hardy I noticed that if cannot shut down/reboot cleanly by clicking on the menu buttons. For example if I choose shutdown the screen goes black, but the power does not get turned off, if I select reboot, the same thing happens and I have power it off myself.

However sudo reboot works fine.

I have been experiencing the same problem with my laptop, i use an ATI radeon mobility 9700 card, using the latest drivers installed with ENVY.
          Black screen and unresponsive keys if i tried logging out or shutting down. I have never been able to get hibernate working, at least not since Dapper! I've read a lot of posts, all to no avail - that is until today.

Try this link, it might just make your day. It has for me. I now have a laptop that logs me out when i want it to, shuts down when i ask it to and hibernates when i close the lid and more importantly, then wakes up again when i open the lid.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...58#post4300658

Hope this helps you.

Comment

I had the same issue. If I used Ctrl-Alt-Backspace then I could go back to the KDM screen and it would then shut down cleanly.

I solved it (if that's the right term) by uninstalling keytouch

Comment

the problem vanished when I uninstalled a proprietary driver

Comment

I ran across this web site looking for a solution to this problem.

http://menpro.blogspot.com/2008/04/a...rx-freeze.html

It seems to work for shut down, but I still have a problem with ctrl-alt-backspace. I hope it will help

Comment

Working...
                X