This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

building KDE 4 on Hardy Heron

KDE 4.1 Alpha is out now. Has anybody got careful steps for building KDE 4 from source and installing correctly on Hardy? The last time I tried this, I couldn't get KDE4 to start correctly. So there more than just cmake-->make-->make install.

Re: building KDE 4 on Hardy Heron

kde 4 should aleady be available in the Repos,

however you don't have to compile from the source for the newest version as of this post (4.0.3) at least the next Stable version as of the KDE website has an easy way to do an upgrade:

Just tollow the Directions here: http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.3.php
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

oh n/m I just that you want to install the Alpha, Rem. Alpha is unstable and can cause many problems if not careful and can even destroy your install to where an re-install is only necesary, only install the Alpha if not using a production machine..

for the make

I always thought it was

./configure
      make
      sudo make install

4.0.3 of KDE4 is the most stable version of KDE4.

Comment

oh and also did you install everything - you must compile all the sources shown to get kde to start and work correctly? Yes that means a lot of compiling.

Comment

I don't mind compiling. I'm a 13 year veteran with Linux. I'm just looking for hints on getting KDE 4.1 Alpha to install to all of the correct directories so that it actually works with Kubuntu.

Comment

Comment

I've been wondering about doing the same thing.

There is some info here http://www.kde.org/announcements/ann...4.1-alpha1.php

But I'd be more interested in running the SVN myself http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4

However... I'm just not that familiar, nor that brave yet.

Kev

Comment

Hello,

I've followed the instruction the KDE site to build the 4.1 (trunk) on Kubuntu. It works. However, it's really unstable (Dude, it's an alpha) and quite slow - the compilation is made with all debug options. But it helps to have a good view of the future desktop.
                It takes a lot of time to compile, and creating a new account for it is REALLY advised.

Comment

Is it possible to build it without the debug stuff? I'm guessing that's the source of most of the instability and sluggishness.

R U familiar with 4.0.3? If so what is your basic impression of 4.1's changes?

Thanks,
                  Kev

Comment

In the instruction, there is a place where you write a new .bashrc . In the function cmakekde, replacing debugfull by release allow to have much better performance.

However, the plasma API has been changed recently, so this part isn't really stable - and it's the most visible one. Amarok is still really not usable. For the other components, they are quite ok.

But anyway, it's an alpha - not something intended to be used except by tester and developers.

Comment

Working...
                    X