This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't login as Admin

In 8.04 KDE4, I don't see the option to login as admin. (for example in the login manager). I saw some instructions to modify /etc/hosts but can't get access in Konsole. How do i do this or are there any other suggestions? I'm a noob... Doh!

Re: Can't login as Admin

the root (i.e. admin) user is disabled by default in ubuntu systems.
    to gain admin privileges, you'll have to go through
    - sudo, for commands on the command line
    - kdesudo, for guis

users that are members of the admin group
    are allowed to gain admin privileges through sudo.

operations that require admin privileges will prompt for the user's
    password automatically.

what is it that you need/want to do?

hth

ps:
    /etc/hosts has nothing to do with user accounts
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Primarily, I want to enable auto login. Also, I've seen references to logging in as root. How does one do this?

Comment

autologin:
        see here.

root login:
        you'll have to enable the root user account.
        that's all.
        start a konsole and enter the following command:
        Code:
        sudo passwd root
        you'll be asked to enter a new password.

you can test if things work from kmenu -> switch user -> start new session
        otherwise, just log out of kde and try and log back in as root.

hth
        gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

My original problem is that the Admin. mode button does not appear on the login manager screen, or anywhere else that it normally appears, on this install. I've been able to do this using this option on the earlier versions(even the Hardy beta). I did a fresh install (twice) of the Remix version and the problem occurred. I'll let you know if logging in as root helps. Thanks for the advice.

Best, JB

Comment

I sincerely hope your machine is not open to the outside world i.e. you do have an external firewall?

Making root appear on the login screen has nothing to do with '/etc/hosts'.
            I think there is a GUI-way of adapting the menu entries.

As long as you have not enabled root, it will not appear, for sure.
            So do what the previous mailer said:

sudo passwd root
            (then enter your own password for sudo)
            (then follow the passwd dialog)

I still think it is not a good idea to open up your PC like that.
            -- <br />A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,<br />user #328198 (Linux Counter http://counter.li.org)

Comment

Greetings from Guelph. I can assure you as well that it is a very, very bad idea to log in as root. If you forget that you are running as root then one bad keystroke can utterly hose your system.
              That is why I love the sudo command, you have root access for 5 minutes for some commands and that is all.
              Also, if an unfriendly can gain root access to your system through a root login, you are hosed.
              I support the sudo method so much that in my other Debian Etch installation I activated the sudo program and set it up to run for me when I needed to do something as root such as apt-get update and apt-get upgrade or apt-cache search for a particular program.
              Trust us, root login is a very dangerous proposition!
              Kubuntu Netbook 10.04 on Asus EeePC 701, Lubuntu 10.04 and OpenSuse 11.3 on USB sticks,&nbsp; Ubuntu 10.04 and WinXP on desktop.

Comment

Not to worry for me. I haven't been able to log in as root as suggested anyway. :-) However, let me explain my problem again. After a clean install of the 8.04 remix (KDE4), whenever my password is needed to update, install,etc., I have no problem signing in to do so. But, when I go to the login manager, the "run as administrator" button (which usually appears at the bottom of the screen is not there and so I can't use any of the functions of the login manager. I could use a little help on this.

Comment

Originally posted by blackjack72
                  Not to worry for me. I haven't been able to log in as root as suggested anyway. :-)
                  this is because you'll have to enable root logins in kdm, as well.
                  it's the AllowRootLogin variable.
                  you'll have to set it to true.
                  either in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
                  or in /var/run/kdm/kdmrc.
                  can't remember which one of these two files is used.

Originally posted by blackjack72
                  However, let me explain my problem again. After a clean install of the 8.04 remix (KDE4), whenever my password is needed to update, install,etc., I have no problem signing in to do so. But, when I go to the login manager, the "run as administrator" button (which usually appears at the bottom of the screen is not there and so I can't use any of the functions of the login manager.
                  i remember there have been many troubles with this stuff
                  in previous (older) releases of kubuntu...like in edgy or so.
                  try going back in the forum's threads and see what were
                  the solutions back then...

gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

I just decided to install the Kubuntu KDE4 release after experimenting with the KDE3 beta for a while... I've got the same root access issue among other issues like a crashing KDE notify program on logout.

After reading some of the other threads on the stability of Kubuntu KDE4 I figure this might all be from reusing of the home directory. Why the home directory should be so sensitive is a bit annoying but I guess that's life for ya.

At any rate, give this a try:
                    - sudo /usr/lib/kde4/bin/systemsettings

Also, to access the root account:
                    - sudo sh
                    - passwd
                    That allows you to set root's password so you can then login as root.

Comment

Working...
                    X