This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rock Solid 8.04 hangs on restart.

I have a Dell XPS 410, 4 GB RAM, Nvidia 7300 with Nvidia driver. I turned off splash in menu.lst to see what is happening. I have applied all updates, more than 500 of them. I am using the KDE 3.5.9 system.

The system will run but when I ask for a restart, it says system now will restart then it hangs with
    [256.114616] Restarting system

I have to power off and then power on.

Also, suspend/resume fails even worse than on 7.10. Damn shame it works on Feisty same hardware.

Would appreciate any suggestion, system is currently not really usable. May have to stay with Feisty for a bit longer.

Thanks in advance,
    Don

Re: Rock Solid 8.04 hangs on restart.

Have a look at the following subject:

Topic: Upgrade From 7.10 to 8.04 - GUI Failed To Load, Nvidia Support? (Solved) (Read 157 times)

It might be an idea to follow their instructions.
    -- <br />A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,<br />user #328198 (Linux Counter http://counter.li.org)

Comment

Re: Rock Solid 8.04 hangs on restart.

It looks like Hardy really doesn't like my Dell machine with its USB keyboard. On further investigation (experimentation) I note that both the Ubuntu 8.04 and Kubuntu 8.04 LiveCD's fail to restart my computer. And they do not seem to recognize my keyboard on startup. I am unable to do anything when the language popup occurs nor can I select any of the options with a function key. If I wait for the 30 second time out then the livecd will startup and I can use it. (Luckily for me, the default language is English.)

When I am done with the LiveCD and instruct the system to restart, it finishes up opens the CD tray tells me to remove the the CD, close the tray and press return to restart, then it just hangs. So I don't thing the problem is related to my choice of nvidia driver.

Comment

Working...
      X