This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardy kernel panic after upgrade

I've got a problem with the new kernel. After upgrade Gutsy->Hardy which went fine reboot welcomes me with Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root on unknown-block(0,0). Trying to boot Gutsy kernel ends in BusyBox. Quick look around in it showed no hard drive devices (sda/sdb/hdc/hdd in /dev). I did boot with System Rescue CD, mounted /boot and rolled back initrd to the one generated during gutsy install for 2.6.22. I successfully booted Gutsy kernel then. update-initramfs successfully actualized initrd for 2.6.22 so there has to be some problem with the kernel. I've tried to reinstall it, install 2.6.22-16-386, server and pci=nomsi option with kernel panic everytime. Ubuntu Live CD recognizes all drives correctly, but overwriting 2.6.24 kernel with the one from Live CD doesn't help. I've got lvm on software raid, but that shouldn't matter here. System installed on sata drives, and besides those two, I've got one hdd and dvd-rw on pata. Chipset is nforce2, sata controller PDC20376, Any ideas?

Re: Hardy kernel panic after upgrade

I'm kinda' - yet not completely - shooting in the dark, but try clearing your application cache:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude clean; sudo aptitude autoclean
    Then, reinstall Hardy's kernel:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude reinstall linux-image-2.6.24-16-generic linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-16-generic
    Edit: Added an 's' to the end of module's'.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

A previous member posted something along these lines, and it turned out that the UUIDs of the partitions were changed, but the UUIDs in /boot/grub/menu.lst were not.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for your responds.

Originally posted by integr8e
        I'm kinda' - yet not completely - shooting in the dark, but try clearing your application cache:
        Then, reinstall Hardy's kernel:
        Did that, didn't help.

Originally posted by Snowhog
        A previous member posted something along these lines, and it turned out that the UUIDs of the partitions were changed, but the UUIDs in /boot/grub/menu.lst were not.
        Yes, I know about possible UUIDs missmatch. I'm using device names in menu.lst I also recompiled Hardy kernel, without luck.

Comment

Working...
        X