This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Boot install question - noob

I've never used linux before. I am trying to install kubuntu 8.04 from the live cd installer. I have Windows xp installed and I want to have a dual boot for kubuntu. When it asks me how I want to partition the disk it defaults to my usb external hard drive instead of my internal hard drive with xp, so I choose manual and I'm confused by what I'm seeing. It only shows 8mb of free space when I actually have 138gb. I assume I have to choose the drive /dev/sda1 and say edit partition but I'm not sure where to go from there. Can someone tell me what I need to do or how to get the correct drive to show up in the intital partition screen?

Thanks

Re: Dual Boot install question - noob

If yo just want to test it out, there is a new portion of this install that will install directly from whitin Windows. It will not mess up your Windows install and seems to be easy to do. I ran it once for a test see and I had no issues. It is called Wubi (see link below). That way you don't have to worry about partitions.

http://wubi-installer.org/

Comment

I've been testing it out from the cd and I want to install it but I want to keep windows on my system as well. I'd rather have it dual boot than run it from within windows.

Comment

Here is a little reading from QQMike. You'll need to know a little about GRUB as well, so here is this. I'll find what you need for the actual install.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

Comment

See if any of these help:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091653.0

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3093325.0

Comment

Thanks for the help. I was missing the most obvious thing..... I just turned off the external drive and it picked up the correct one with Windows xp. I now have it installed. I just need to figure out how in install firefox. I though I read that kubuntu came with firefox 3.0 but I can't see it anywhere so I went to the firefox page and downloaded 2.0 but I can't figure out how to install that. I tried sudo apt-get install firefox-2.0.0.14 as well as sudo apt-get install firefox-3.0 but no luck. I also read that after extracting the files that I downloaded I could just click on the firefox script in the folder but that doesn't work either.

Comment

Also, when I try to install desktop effects I get the following message.

The package 'compiz-kde' could not be found.

Comment

Compiz is installed by default in HH (if I remember correctly). Press Alt+F2 and type:
                Code:
                compiz --replace
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It says could not run the specified command.

Comment

Firefox:

K > Add/Remove programs
                    Internet
                    Firefox (check it)
                    request Install

Or,
                    through
                    K > System > Adept Manager
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

It's not in add/remove programs and I can't find it in adept manager either.

Comment

I got this message when trying to install mp3 support.

Comment

Originally posted by redridernl
                          It says could not run the specified command.
                          Open Adept Manager and search on compiz
                          If it isn't marked as installed, mark it as such. Then search on emerald and mark it for installation too. Then click on Apply Changes. Once completed downloading and installing, close Adept Manager and restart KDE with Ctrl+Alt+BkSp and log back in to KDE. Press Alt+F2 and type: compiz --replace
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                            If yo just want to test it out, there is a new portion of this install that will install directly from whitin Windows. It will not mess up your Windows install and seems to be easy to do. I ran it once for a test see and I had no issues. It is called Wubi (see link below). That way you don't have to worry about partitions.

http://wubi-installer.org/
                            I have tried it on 2 different computers to install inside windows and every time it gets done compiling the image it craps out and says cannot access CD. If I click retry it just starts the image process over and says the same thing once it reaches 100%. I have 8.04 upgraded on my standalone linux box but want to have it on my laptop and my other computer without getting rid of windows. BTW one machine has XP and the other has Vista. They both give me the same error.

Comment

Working...
                            X