Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade From 7.10 to 8.04 - GUI Failed To Load, Nvidia Support? (Solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade From 7.10 to 8.04 - GUI Failed To Load, Nvidia Support? (Solved)

I upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04. During the install, when asked if I wanted to keep my original config files like grub.lst, ssh.conf, samba.conf, etc...I always chose to keep the versions I used with 7.04 instead of overwriting them with the new ones in 8.10. Perhaps this was a mistake as I have a few issues here:

Upon reboot, I never see the Kubuntu flash screen. This is what is visible now on the screen:
    Starting up...
    Loading, please wait...
    Ubuntu 8.04 closet tty (closet is my PC name)

closet login:_
    I login in and see this:
    Last login: Sat Apr 26 09:00
    Linux closet 2.6.20-16 generic #2 SMP.......
    The progams included with ubuntu system are free software...yada yada yada

You have new mail
    mrmsu@closet:~$
    So, nothing happens yet. No KDE desktop or other GUI so I type "startx" and get this:

Bad host name
    (then the screen scrolls fast, full of text then stops. I don't get to read all of it)
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
    (==) Using config file: "etc/X11/xorg.conf
    (II) Module "i2c" already built-in
    (II) Module "ddc" already build-in
    FATAL: Error running install command for nvidia
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): ***Aborting***
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usuable configuration

Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    giving up.
    xinit: Connection reset by peer (errno 104): unable to connect to X server
    xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error
    xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "closet:0" in "remove" command
    So, obviously, I think I have a display problem likely linked to my old nvidia card and possible the lack of support for that card (7.10 supported it). So, remembering that I had Envy installed on my machine, I typed "envy -t" which I hope will install the correct, upgraded Nvidia driver:

sudo envy -t
    I then chose option "1" for "Install the NVIDIA driver. I received this:

Envy - Version 0.9.9
    Envy Error: Your operating system does not seem to be supported by Envy
    You have new mail in /var/mail/mrmsu
    So...I'm lost. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Mike
    sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Re: Upgrade From 7.10 to 8.04 - GUI Failed To Load, Nvidia Support?

I believe you need the new version of envy - envynv

Comment

How would I install it without Adept?

"sudo apt-get install envynv"?

I'm using my Windows machine right now so I can't test this in the repository.

Thanks!
      sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Originally posted by mechanism
        How would I install it without Adept?

"sudo apt-get install envynv"?

I'm using my Windows machine right now so I can't test this in the repository.

Thanks!
        Correction - it is envyng.

You could try
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install envyng-core

Comment

Ok. I installed the new version of envy (followed the directions on the envy website). I uninstalled the existing driver then installed the new one. Reboot. Same results. I'm lost so I'm going to use my System Rescue CD to reinstall the image I made of 7.04. I guess my PC is just too old...

Mike

Comment

Maybe http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3093580.0
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I just could not let this beat me

After further investigation, there seems to be an issue the the "nvidia-glx-legacy" driver. I'm not sure what the deal is but I used envy to uninstall all Nvidia drivers which forces Kubuntu to use the drivers included with 8.04 (as opposed to the latest drivers from Nvidia). I also copied my xorg.conf file from a backup disc and installed it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Now, it boots up and KDE appears! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!

So, my advice to all those in my situation is to uninstall all Nvidia drivers and just use the one that comes with 8.04. I had gotten the "most recent" driver from Nvidia (via envy) installed when I had 7.10 but apparently there is an issue with that driver and 8.04.

I hope this helps someone.

Mike

Comment

Re: Upgrade From 7.10 to 8.04 - GUI Failed To Load, Nvidia Support? (Solved)

Did you read the post I linked? It specifically deals with the envy script and Hardy Heron.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Upgrade From 7.10 to 8.04 - GUI Failed To Load, Nvidia Support? (Solved)

Yes I did and thanks. However, there does seem to be an issue with my Nvidia Vanta, 8.04, and the driver. Using K>System>Hardware Driver Manager I can see that no propitiatory drivers are installed for my card. I can click to enable the drivers and a download begins. If I reboot I have the same problem - no KDE.

So, I just uninstalled the Nvidia driver and all is well.

Strange....any clues? I would like to have 3D support again otherwise it is bye bye Google Earth.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X