X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During Hardy install part 3 (searching HDD ) whole Kubuntu freezes

Hi!

I bought a new PC and want to install Kubuntu as main OS, but use Vista for eg. gaming.
    So i have Vista installed and wanted to install Kubuntu:
    When i reach step 3 which is the partition programm of Kubuntu it says searching for HDD, and it writes instantly 50% done and after approx 5 secs whole Kubuntu freezes, not even the mouse works.
    I have tried to install Kubuntu 7.10, the newest 8.04 and tried it with Ubunutu, always the same problem. (all 64Bit vers)

Hardware Specs:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz
    MSI P35 Neo2-Fir Mainboard
    Kingston 8 GB 800MHz DDR2 Ram
    Western Digital Caviar 500 GB SATA 2 7200 16MB--> I have 2, First has 3 Partitions (100GB Vista,100GB and 300GB) and on the other one i wanted to install Kubuntu (is now formatted with NTFS)
    ASUS GF 8800GTS NVIDIA PCI-E Video Card
    Samsung DVDRW 20x S-ATA DVD Burner
    LG HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR H-30N

Anyone has an idea how to solve the problem or do i have to be content with Vista?

TY in advance

Re: During Hardy install part 3 (searching HDD ) whole Kubuntu freezes

Assuming you're using the Live CD, try starting it in safe-graphics mode from the boot menu.  If that doesn't work, try either giving the Alternate CD a go or waiting for Snowhog to grace you with his awesome sagefullness ( ).

P.S. Nice gig.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

SOLVED

TY integr8e for your reply, i d/l the alternate HH CD and installed it via the old school installation programm without starting the live CD OS.
      Installation was quite easy, i followed the rely nicely guided steps and everything worked perfect.
      After installation my PC works with two OS now HH an Vista, Grub works perfectly

So now i gotta need to learn using Kubuntu and use GNU licenced programms im soo fed up with Vista and its DRM management and PC info sending without my permission. Even if it lots of work to learn using Linux/Kubuntu its better than having big brother watching over my virtual shoulder especially if he is called Microsoft.

"Ubi dubium ibi libertas"

Comment

Re: During Hardy install part 3 (searching HDD ) whole Kubuntu freezes

I agree completely.  Switching to Linux (Kubuntu) from Window$ requires a slight learning curve, but becomes simple once you learn your way around; switching to Window$ from Linux would probably be similar.

Hang out for a while, get your hands dirty helping others, and you'll be surprised how quickly you pick up on things
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
        X