Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vanilla Release Candidate CD Fails Boot to Live on my machine.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vanilla Release Candidate CD Fails Boot to Live on my machine.

Hi,

I downloaded the release candidate CD ISO on Saturday 19th, and have a problem. It boots to the initial menu and I select the option for running without installing to my disk. I then get the blue KDE logo and the Pong bar for some time (approx 1min+) before the screen goes blank save for a blinking cursor. After further waiting (approx. 30 seconds or so), I get the following error message:

"Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0"

Presuming fd0 is the floppy drive - I don't have one.

I am happy to be as much help as possible in working out what the problem is, but you may need to be fairly precise in your instructions as I'm not an expert. I don't know how to get startup logs when it's just booting from CD without installing, for example.

My hardware is as follows: AMD Barcelona Dual Core 5200 CPU, Asus M2R32-MVP motherboard, 4GB DDR800 RAM, Samsung SATA DVD-RW, Radeon 2600HD Pro Graphics card, 2x 160GB HDs with Ext3 filesystems.

Really don't know what else might be of use, but will post anything needed. The CD passes its check for defects.

I really like Kubuntu (KDE is *much* nicer than Gnome, for me) so I'd really like to install Hardy Heron on its release day, but particularly I thought there might be other people out there with this problem and it might be something that can be caught and fixed. I am running Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon currently.

Many thanks,

-Harmony.

Re: Any 8.04 CD Fails Boot to Live on my machine.

This is not exactly a bump, as I've got a lot more information this time. Still, I was hoping somebody would have offered a suggestion. Even a pointer as to how to more accurately diagnose the problem would be helpful at this stage.

I have downloaded the Desktop install KDE4 Remix iso (in fact I've downloaded all versions) and I get the same inability to boot as with the RC. I turned on Safe Graphics mode this time, and to get more information I also removed the Splash and Quiet options from the boot line. I don't know how I can get an actual log file from a live CD, so the best I could do was copy down the error messages by hand. I got the following:

Code:
    end request: I/O error , dev fd0, sector 0
    end request: I/O error , dev fd0, sector 0
    Buffer I/O: I/O error , dev fd0, locical block 0
    ata1.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
    ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask 0x4)
    failed to recover some devices retrying in 5 secs
    I then get an endless cycle of repetition of the above with some minor variations for other ata numbers (ata2.00, ata3.00, ata4.00) along with the occasional message that a particular numbered SATA link is UP or DOWN.

It may be significant that earlier in the message list (though apparently before it errors properly), I see the line:
    Code:
    floppy drive fd0 is 1.44M
    As mentioned, I have no floppy drive. Nor IDE drives while I'm at it.

To the best of my knowledge, my hardware is good. I'd really appreciate any help with this as I'd really like to get the new Kubuntu on my machine. Also, as this is a problem right out of the box, I'd imagine that there are other people out there who have the same problem and are getting a very bad first impression of Kubuntu so fixing this might mean solving a bug in the actual Kubuntu install.

Anybody?

Thanks a lot,

Harmony.

Comment

Working...
    X