Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardy Laptop Hangs on Bootup....was fine until a short time ago (solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardy Laptop Hangs on Bootup....was fine until a short time ago (solved)

I think I may have tinkered myself into a corner again. I have been running 8.04 on my laptop quite successfully for a few days. I edited the xorg.conf file before shutting down to configure my mouse a little better and now it hangs at "Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) . I am in over my head being a fairly new user, (how much longer can I use that excuse?,) and now I don't know how to get past that point. If it was the xorg.conf that did it I have a backup but I cannot get to a prompt......or more correctly I don't know how.

Bob

Re: Hardy Laptop Hangs on Bootup....was fine until a short time ago

I am so proud. I resolved it myself by watching carefully when the bootup started and saw that hitting escape would give me a menu where I chose the recovery option and booted to a prompt. I remembered that I had installed

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xbindkeys xvkbd
    While attempting to get all of the buttons on my new Logitech Nano VX mouse working. I removed those programs and rebooted and I am back in business again.

Still having problems with Ksmoothdock which does not seem to like my laptop very much. That is something I can work out.

Comment

Working...
    X