This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allow Root Login

I just upgraded to Hardy from Gutsy with kdm-kde4 as the default. Unfortunately, my settings have been wiped out. Most importantly, I can no longer log on under the root account. Previously, I had altered etc/kde3/kdmrc to allow for root logins. etc/kde4 does not have a kdmrc file and thus I have no idea how to set it back so that I can log in under the root account. I have tried to c/p the kdmrc file from etc/kde3 to etc/kde4 and I get an "Access Denied" message. This is my machine that I spent over $1000 to build. I should never, ever have to see an "access denied" of any kind.

In any event, I am wondering if anyone knows how to enable root login under the new configurations.

Re: Allow Root Login

Originally posted by Dipper

This is my machine that I spent over $1000 to build. I should never, ever have to see an "access denied" of any kind.
    Heh. Precisely why I decided 2 years ago to say "Good-bye" to Windows and Microsoft!

I just scouted around and could not find a KDE4 equivalent to the kdmrc file that you mentioned -- I still have that one too.

I assume you can open a Konsole, enter "sudo su" and your password, and "become" root if you want to. I think you're talking about running the X server as root? And I do believe it is set by default not to permit the root user to run the X server. Do you get an "access denied" if you issue "startx" from the root user's command line?

Comment

kde4's kdnrc is in a different location:
      /usr/lib/kde4/etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc
      you might be able to edit this file

Comment

Many thanks to those who helped. Here's the summary of what I've found in case anyone else wants to do this:

1. Set the root password
        Code:
        sudo passwd root
        2. Open Kate as a root
        Code:
        kdesudo /usr/lib/kde4/bin/kate
        3. Open the following file from Kate
        Code:
        /usr/lib/kde4/etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc
        4. Find
        Code:
        AllowRootLogin=false
        5. Change to
        Code:
        AllowRootLogin=true
        6. Save, Reboot, Login as root

Comment

This is purely out of curiosity. I do not intend to criticize your practice in any way. I just wonder what kind of needs you have that require logging in KDE as root? As dibl mentioned, you can always log in as yourself and use "sudo / kdesudo" to perform superuser tasks.
          Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
          Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

I don't really have any needs that require graphical login. It's simply the way I prefer to run my system: I don't want to have to type commands or enter passwords when operating my system. I think all the talk about the root account being unsafe to use are way overblown. And when I do screw something up (yes, it has happened), I can always reinstall. I have complete backups of my OS and all my data. I never leave anything on the hard drive.

Comment

I can always reinstall. I have complete backups of my OS and all my data. I never leave anything on the hard drive.
              That is a most interesting philosophy of how to run a Linux desktop system -- pretty unique, I'd say.

Happily, the open source community is ... open, and unique ideas are welcome. If it's working for you, great!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                I can always reinstall. I have complete backups of my OS and all my data. I never leave anything on the hard drive.
                That is a most interesting philosophy of how to run a Linux desktop system -- pretty unique, I'd say.

Happily, the open source community is ... open, and unique ideas are welcome. If it's working for you, great!
                Indeed. He is probably a careful user, too. For me, running Linux as root is a lot riskier than running Windows as admin, because I tent to use CLI a lot more on Linux where removing something critical can be irreversible (i.e. no "Are you sure?" warning).
                Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
                Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Yes, me too. When I first installed Linux on my (expensive) desktop system, I also was somewhat insulted by the "you are not allowed to do this, you stupid user" tone of some of the warnings and errors that I observed. After all, I bought and built the damned thing!

However, after inflicting enough damage on the OS that it required reinstallation, multiple times, I came to respect the sensibility of separating routine user operations from "the force" of the Super User, with its non-obvious but always-present capability to make undesired changes to important things throughout the system. So, I sudo and kdesu as needed.

Comment

Working...
                  X