This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.04 beta install problems.

I am trying to install kubuntu 8.04 (beta). My system is AMD-64 based with a PATA disk, hda and a SATA disk, sda.

I have windoze 2000 & Mandriva 2007 installed on hda and kubuntu 7.04 on sda. Both Mandriva & kubuntu are conventional installations with / & /home partitions. Triple-booting these os's via grub is no problem, all is fine. There are other partitions on sda used for data storage.

The problem comes when I try to install the 8.04 beta. It runs fine from the cd, if a little slow but when trying to install using the custom partitioning option, it will recognise the existing partitions on sda. The live version sees all existing sda partitions without any problems.

It was my intention to simply reformat the 7.04 / partition & install 8.04 on that but all it wants to do is partition sda from scratch which I do not really want to do because of existing data stored there. I could just copy off the data, repartition the disk & copy back but if I can avoid this I will.

Is this just a typical beta type glitch or is there a more involved explanation ? Any ideas on a fix ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Kubuntu 8.04 beta install problems.

You should be able to manually partition your hard drive from the installer, but if you can't using the Live CD, I would suggest giving the Alternate CD a try (it worked for me).
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Unfortunately, it did not work for me. Same problem, would not recognise existing partitions on the SATA disk. (Except that it had a text & not a GUI interface)

Comment

Originally posted by phil1349

My system is AMD-64 based with a PATA disk, hda and a SATA disk, sda.
        No, to Kubuntu your system has 2 hard drives, sda and sdb. You can forget what you used to know about the significance of hd_ versus sd_ in Linux hard drive identification.

For partitioning prior to installing, I personally much prefer to boot a GParted Live CD -- the drives are automatically NOT mounted and you can focus on partitions and filesystem types and then boot your installation CD and focus on the installation process itself.

p.s. GParted still uses hd for PATA drives and sd for SCSI and SATA.

Comment

Thanks Dibl, you are absolutely right regarding the kubuntu disk naming conventions.

It still does not explain why the live CD recognises & reads the existing SATA partitions & the installer cannot. The whole point is that I do not wish to disturb or modify these partitions, simply install 8.04 on an existing partition.

Comment

Working...
          X