This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu Server 8.04 + Kubuntu-KDE4 installation : Need advice

Hi, I am running Ubuntu Server 7.10 + Kubuntu desktop at present.
    The way I idid it before was to install Ubuntu Server 7.10 from the CD and did 'apt-get install kubuntu-desktop' over the internet.
    What is the cleanest way to do a similar set up using Ubuntu Server 8.04-beta + Kubuntu-KDE4 right now? I can see that I can download and burn the server edition to a CD. What next? How to get the Kubuntu 8.04-beta-KDE4 desktop installed on top of the server?
    I have gone through the update route - but there seem to be some hitches here and there - for example there is no sound when I use the KDE4 (I still have KDE3.5 - I can always switch back, but seeing there's so much buzz around KDE4, I want to get in on it - I don't mind doing a clean install after formatting and all. I was planning to do it anyway once 8.04 hit the beta stage).
    Though I use the server edition, I am still a newbie when it comes to all things Linux. Specifically I wonder if I have to add any repositories after installing Ubuntu server 8.04-beta.

Re: Ubuntu Server 8.04 + Kubuntu-KDE4 installation : Need advice

Originally posted by ramper
    Hi, I am running Ubuntu Server 7.10 + Kubuntu desktop at present.
    The way I idid it before was to install Ubuntu Server 7.10 from the CD and did 'apt-get install kubuntu-desktop' over the internet.
    What is the cleanest way to do a similar set up using Ubuntu Server 8.04-beta + Kubuntu-KDE4 right now? I can see that I can download and burn the server edition to a CD. What next? How to get the Kubuntu 8.04-beta-KDE4 desktop installed on top of the server?
    I have gone through the update route - but there seem to be some hitches here and there - for example there is no sound when I use the KDE4 (I still have KDE3.5 - I can always switch back, but seeing there's so much buzz around KDE4, I want to get in on it - I don't mind doing a clean install after formatting and all. I was planning to do it anyway once 8.04 hit the beta stage).
    Though I use the server edition, I am still a newbie when it comes to all things Linux. Specifically I wonder if I have to add any repositories after installing Ubuntu server 8.04-beta.
    IMO, debian-based distros are not good at "upgrading", so if you installed a command-line system and then install kubuntu-desktop, chances are that there are many problems. Yes, I did that before and it took me a lot of time fixing the problems.

So if you don't want to waste much of your spare time fixing the problems, please just go directly to Kubuntu, not the ubuntu-server + kubuntu-desktop conbination.

Comment

Re: Ubuntu Server 8.04 + Kubuntu-KDE4 installation : Need advice

So if you don't want to waste much of your spare time fixing the problems, please just go directly to Kubuntu, not the ubuntu-server + kubuntu-desktop conbination.
      I agree. You can always install your server packages later.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
      X