This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing kde4 alongside kde3.59

Is it possible? I tried but when I checked preview changes, kde3 bin was marked for removal. Afraid that it might remove kde3, I removed it. Can anyone shed some light on that?
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Re: Installing kde4 alongside kde3.59

I am not sure what you are asking in your post.

Yes you can run kde3 and kde4. I

n fact I recommend KDE3 because KDE4 has many limitations in software, some bugs, and other issues KDE3 is much more stable but who wants stability actually KDE4 has proven to be more stable then my current install of windows which crashes at least once a week.

I hope this helps
    Kubuntu 8.04 Beta Dual boot with Microjunk XP<br />HP DV6225us Laptop AMD64x2 3gig ram, Sprint Wifi, nvidia card, 120 sata. 10 partitions 2 environments of Kubuntu and one windows.<br /><br />We can always prove that we are right but is God convinced of it?

Comment

Thanks for the answer, but in case I wasn't clear. I do have Hardy Heron installed but I'm currently running kde3. I want to boot occasionally into kde4 to test it out. I'm aware of the bugs. However, I tried installing via adept and it marked the package kde3bin for removal. That's why I was asking, will that means my kde3 will be replaced? Mark you, I only marked kde4 core for installation. Thanks.
      Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

well for me it works quite well. I've installed the virtual KDE 3 package (for a full install) with aptitude, after I installed KDE4 (base package and some useful stuff, but not everything).

Note that I installed everything from a clean system, so i found no problems of conflict. Maybe purging a few KDE 3 packages might help...

Comment

I don't think you understand clearly what I was asking, but thanks for your input nonetheless. I am not having any major problems running HH x86_64. The few quirks are due to the fact that it is still beta.

My concern was and still is centered around in trying to install kde4 for testing purposes, when I use adept or apt-get get via the terminal/command line to install kde4core it marks kde3bin for removal. I was asking and I'm still asking if it removes kde3bin will my kde3 still work. That's all I'm asking, really.

Comment

I did install KDE 4 "on top of" KDE 3, after installing HH the normal way without KDE4. There are still some "quirks" with KDE4, but for some tasks it seems better. What happened with KDE3 core I don't know. Maybe the problems I am experiencing using KDE3 for KDEnlive and Scribus comes from that being removed?

I honestly don't know.

In the /et/kde (and so on) there seems to be more in the folders below kde3 than kde4; the same in the ./kde folder in the home directory.

This may not answer all you are asking about, but I hope some?

Comment

Well I have been running HH since alpha2 with kde4 since its release in January side by side without any problems. In fact I sue KDE4 most of the time, only falling 2back2 on kde3 when absolutely necessary.

Just install kde4-core from adept/synaptic or sudo apt-get install.

That will give you the basics. Then you can install kubuntu-desktop-kde4 and a few other goodies like extragears, kate-kde4, kde4 artwork, kde4 multimedia, kde4-network, etc.

Just refrain from installing kde4 proper. It puts a whole load of stuff on your system that you probably don't need.

You can choose your session at loggin.

Enjoy

Comment

Just go ahead and install, read the kdebase-bin-kde3 package description:

core binaries for the KDE base module
                This package contains miscellaneous programs needed by other
                KDE applications, particularly those in the KDE base module. They can
                be provided by KDE3 or KDE4. This package provides the KDE3 versions.

This package is part of KDE, and a component of the KDE base module.
                See the 'kde' and 'kdebase' packages for more information.
                You can use the kde4 or kde3 version, it does not matter which you use, they both work. I have done it, no problems at all.

Comment

Thanks Fred and Stealthbanana for your replies. The information you provided, stealthbanana, did clear up the doubt I was having. Thanks again.

Comment

"...I was asking and I'm still asking if it removes kde3bin will my kde3 still work. That's all I'm asking, really."

You mention in your first post that some things were going to be deleted if you downloaded the core of KDE 4

My ignorance does not allow me to see where this question has been answered. It seems to me that if you proceed to download KDE 4 core something of KDE 3 is going to be deleted and one wonders what problems this will cause

"...Just refrain from installing kde4 proper. It puts a whole load of stuff on your system..."

This leaves me uncertain as to whether any particular app of KDE 4 that I choose to download will, in fact, mess up KDE 3

Any clarification will be a great help
                    Thanks

Comment

Just to clarify, if you run "sudo apt-get install kde4-core" or if you are scared of the command line, install kde4 core, when it's done, mark kubuntu-desktop4 for installation as well. What happens is that kde4.bin will replace kde3.bin. It will still work, mark you. However, remember to chose kde3 desktop manager when it prompts you. KDE3 will still work as in the case with me. That's what happens. Nothing whatsoever will break.
                      Current System: Beelink Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 8 Core(Up to 4.4GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM 1TB NVME M.2 SSD, SER5 MAX Mini Desktop Computer with TCL BeyondTV5 serving as my monitor. ​

Comment

Princey Thank you. thank you
                        That is what I ws hoping to be told
                        Many thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X