X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading Beta to Final?

Hi,

I'm planning to install a new system next week. I really would like to install Hardy Heron (the kubuntu variant). I can live with having a beta for one month. However, I'd like to have a productive system on the long run. How are my chances of sucessfully upgrading the beta to a final later? Is it advisable or should I rather install Gutsy Gibbon and upgrade from there?

Thanks in advance,
    Commander

Re: Upgrading Beta to Final?

How are my chances of sucessfully upgrading the beta to a final later?
    Good. When you have the Hardy beta, you are using the Hardy repositories. You just upgrade packages (now there are daily updates/fixes) -> You have final version (hopefully, April 24th).

Is it advisable or should I rather install Gutsy Gibbon and upgrade from there?
    Beta warning
    This is an Beta (pre-) release. Pre-release versions of Hardy are NOT encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or for anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent, breakage. Pre-release versions of Hardy ARE recommended for Kubuntu developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.
    Here Hardy is working fine, BUT i have also Gutsy...

Hardy Release Schedule, Plans, Artwork, Release Notes, Screenshots and Upgrading
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I installed the beta version and I love it!

Comment

If I were you, I think that I would do a full clean install. There are so many changes that the upgrade may work without a problem, but down the road you may run into a mystery error or two (like I did in 7.04 to 7.10) that is nearly impossible to pinpoint.

If you don't have that much data it isn't that bad. You could always try it and see how it goes and load it later if you run into any weird problems

I have been using HH since alpha 3, so I know I will be doing a clean install. Just to be safe

Comment

Thanks to you all for the feedback. I have tried the beta now and I think it really works very well for a beta. Most things that did not work seem to be caused by KDE4. At the moment I'm leaning toward playing around with it a bit, but making a clean install once the final is there, going back to KDE3 in the process.

There is one thing I might need to post to another forum: I've got two harddisks at SATA1 and SATA3. The Hardy beta is installed on the disk at SATA3 which it considers sdb. However, this disk is set to be the first harddisk in CMOS (long story). As a result, I have the mapping SATA1->hd0, SATA3->hd1 in GRUB as long as I start GRUB from a running Linux. When I boot into GRUB, the mapping is the other way round. This leads to Hardy being not able to set up its bootloader correctly. I think I can solve the problem by switching the disks back in CMOS, installing GRUB on the other disk, too. I'm still not sure, though. Perhaps I should look at a forum dedicated to GRUB, what do you think?

Comment

Maybe this: Kubuntu Forums > Important Information > Documentation > How To's > HOW TO: GRUB Methods - Toolkit

By Qqmike
            Toolkit for Installation, Rescue, Repair - Fixing Common GRUB problems
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
            X