This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed from Hardy KDE4, can't log into Desktop

It will get to the second to the last icon on the spash, freeze and then back to login. I installed kubuntu-desktop and kde3 loads fine.

I posted a while ago, but I can't seem to find my original post here using a search.

I remember that one reply said to delete .ICEauthority and someone suggested deleting kderc from /home/"username"/.kde4/share/config

I still have the same issue, so today I finally had time to fiddle with it so I deleted the .kde4 folder completely, tried to log into kde4 and still the same issue happens.

The kdm-kde4 loads fine and has the nice looking oxygen buttons,but when I login, it locks, and the re-login kdm-kde4 greeting screen comes up. Kde3 works fine like I said.

Did an apt-get update/upgrade as well. No fix.

Re: Installed from Hardy KDE4, can't log into Desktop

This happened to me after an update... but I gave up and reinstalled, so no help here, only sympathy.

Comment

Re: Installed from Hardy KDE4, can't log into Desktop

I actually tried reinstalling all kde4 components using adept at one point. It actually never loaded to the desktop from the live CD either but I chose the install option from the boot screen, thinking I could resolve the issue in a real install: the Live CD works on other computers so there is something that is a default in the kde4 settings that can't be handled based on the hardware on that particular computer. It has one of those integrated via display cards and so in order to fix it, I installed the openchrome driver and set xorg to use it. KDE3 looks even better, but no luck with KDE4. I still like KDE3 fine so this is an aesthetic issue.

My LCD is a 1024 x 768 and the original xorg tried to add a line to have a "virtual" 1280 x 900 so I commented that out thinking KDE4 could not handle it. After doing this, deleted the /home/(username)/.kde4 then reinstalled all items in adept marked "kde4" that were already installed.

Oddly, I can run KDE4 as a virtual window in xterm using xephyr. So the install runs. There is something about the display/desktop settings that just won't load with the native settings.

Can I start kde4 from the command line and have the output go to a file?
      I might be able to post the output here and someone might be able to better help me.

Comment

Working...
      X