This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternate Install Full Format?

When Hardy is released i plan on doing a bit more customizing than i normally do. So far ive 'planned' 64 bit using the Alt cd and installing kde-core instead of kubuntu-desktop. Maybe compiling a kernel too

My question is does the Alt cd allow you to partition your hard drive. The last time i used it in vbox (lost the image), i remember it wiping the whole drive. This is going to be a problem cause i want to install windows on the drive but different partitions.

Can anyone give me some info on this one and if theres any ways to get past it?

Thanks
    Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--> # 15709

Re: Alternate Install Full Format?

You can use the alt cd to partition by choosing the manual version of partitioning. But it is text based so you should know what you are doing

I would suggest using the gparted live cd:
    http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/download.php

choose version-10 for download as the -11 seams to be buggy.

Partition, install with the alt cd and choose manual partitioning. Now you can just choose your swap, /hoem and / partitions.

Install->Enjoy

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Sweet. Thanks Fintan. I was considering Gparted before but i didint know if the installer would recognize the partitions created.

Cant wait to try this out with Hardy..
      Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--> # 15709

Comment

Oh it will recognize the partitions all right

In Fact it will recognize them so well taht you can format / delete them if you don't watch out
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
        X