This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing alongside Windows - installer only wants to use entire disk

I'm trying to make a new convert here, he is enthusiastic, but not enough that he's willing to let me kill his Wind0ze install.

Right now it is not offering a way to shrink the windows partition. It will only let me use the entire disk.

Help?

BTW the disk I 'm trying to use is the KDE4 remix.

Thanks dudes! Fintan, dibl I'm counting on you guys.

Kev

Re: Installing alongside Windows - installer only wants to use entire disk

Here is something by Rog131. Maybe it will help.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090058.0

Edit:You probably already know but just to make sure - backup important files to be on the safe side.

Comment

Or just do the partition shrinking/making beforehand using GParted Live CD (I've tested that, shrinking XP down from 160 GB to 100 GB; several people on this forum have done the same with XP using GParted). So, in Gparted: Shrink, then make any new partitions. Then run the Kubuntu installer.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
        Or just do the partition shrinking/making beforehand using GParted Live CD (I've tested that, shrinking XP down from 160 GB to 100 GB; several people on this forum have done the same with XP using GParted). So, in Gparted: Shrink, then make any new partitions. Then run the Kubuntu installer.

This is how I plan to do it now.

Thanks MoonRise for those links I read a fair ammount last night.

I was expecting Kubuntu to be able to do this with the installer though, as that's how I installed it beside Windows on my Laptop a few months ago.

I guess getting to know GParted is not a bad thing though.

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo5HH

Thanks MoonRise for those links I read a fair ammount last night.

I was expecting Kubuntu to be able to do this with the installer though, as that's how I installed it beside Windows on my Laptop a few months ago.

I guess getting to know GParted is not a bad thing though.

Kev
          Yep! Same here when they were first written. They're good though. Qqmike and the others did a great job putting stuff like that together. Luckily they can write. If I did it, it would be so technical that I believe some would have choice words for me.

Comment

"I guess getting to know GParted is not a bad thing though."

I use it more than any other tool.
            You can even copy partitions, move them, check them for filesystem errors, check them for capacity versus "space used," set boot flags on bootable partitions, check a partition to see how it is formatted (ext2, ext3, FAT, etc.), and a dozen other things.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Before you shrink that Windows partition, better run "disk cleanup" and "defrag". Run "defrag" 2 or 3 times.

The reason: Windows happily scatters files all over its partition, and you'd like to get them packed together as much as possible before the shrinking process -- less chance of corruption that way.

Comment

oo! Good advice dibl I totally didn't think of that.

Kev

Comment

Working...
                X